Hello again!

Mini GP

Reaction score
Hi i have been a member a couple times, however recently departed to commute by train....

But a change of job brings me back to needing/wanting to commute by GS again, i have previously owned 5 in the past 2 1150's and 3 1200's last 2 being GSA's

My dilemma is do i go for the new 1250 GSa or a 2015 ish 1200GSa

I was looking at new but was potentially put off by the need for a tracker and the comment don't leave it parked on the street in London ever!!

Is this true? is it now a big theft problem, part of the reason for getting rid of my Fireblade and getting my first GS was the fact i could leave it anywhere!

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

As a resident of North London, I can only suggest that you start looking at insurance premiums now. Do you need a GS because of the commuting distance or would something smaller do? I spent 3.5 years commuting to Canary Wharf on a 300cc scooter because there was no part of the journey where it was legal to do more than 50 mph.
You do not want to be working and worrying whether the bike will still be there at leaving time. Thieves steal bikes armed with machetes and axes, which puts bystanders off.
So you have to fit a reliable tracker system. Of course the bike might be a write-off if they get as far as breaking the steering lock stop off the frame.

But don't let me put you off......

I do have another machine for touring, which I consider it too large for commuting, and is now insured Social, Domestic and Pleasure only.

I had my '63 plate 1200 stolen in September 2018 and it pushed my insurance from around £600 to £1,600 per year - a '17 plate and higher value. I was subsequently punted off the replacement 1200, which turned out to be a total loss, no fault accident. I then decided to get a 1250. After a few searches on comparison sites (without declaring the accident) I knew I'd be in for around £2,100.

I bought the 1250, declared the accident and my insurance was £2,200 - although due to a cock-up at AVIVA they gave me £200 compo. This cost is because of the stolen bike and not garaged, but parked in my front garden. Both the £1,600 & £2,200 figures are based on it having a Biketrac, Roadlok, ground anchor and a Thatcham approved Abus lock and chain - it also has further locks/alarms but these gain no more discount. I also have also added security cameras.

Yes, it's expensive but I only have space for one bike and I'm not changing what I want to ride because of the thieves that operate in London.

I don't ride much in the centre but if I need to go down I have no problem using the bike, but making sure it's locked and being tracked.

Hi thanks for replies

I think i have decided to bite the bullet and go for a latest model 1200GSA, i can't justify the £21k for a new 1250GSA for a commuter bike!

Well i can reconcile it, but the good lady wife thinks that it is too much considering i have 2 other bikes which dont go anywhere! A man needs a project...

So thanks for your help, i am now looking and hoping to purchase for March collection

Back
Top Bottom