Creating a route from a track that has off-road / cycle path sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

beemerboy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..... a track of unknown provenance, downloaded from a third party website. My suggestion would be to trace over it using the route tool.

Agreed to trace over route. I decided to have a go and this is the first time I have tried to create a driving route from a track which is partially road and partially cycle tracks. The resulting route is an abomination.

I have started you a brand new thread, to save your specific question getting mixed into someone else’s specific question.

Agreed to trace over route. I decided to have a go and this is the first time I have tried to create a driving route from a track which is partially road and partially cycle tracks. The resulting route is an abomination.

I read it that you have a track that is part road, part cycle track that you are trying to create a route from that you can drive in a car / ride on a motorbike but the resultant magenta line is a mess. Is that right? If so, I’d maybe start by looking at your profile settings. Motorcycle or car modes will route you away from any avoidances you have pre-selected and away from cycle tracks or footpaths.

Is the ‘cycle track’ part of the track even shown on your Garmin detailed map? If it isn’t then the software will not be able to route you along it, as it doesn’t even know it’s there. Similarly, if the Garmin map does not know that the cycle track joins a road, it won’t be able to join the two up together. Another example, particularly prevalent where I live in London, are cycle lanes. In a sense these are a bit like cycle routes. I can cycle along one, effectively going the wrong way up a one way street, quite legally. If I asked BaseCamp to convert that track into a drivable route, it couldn’t. It would not take me the wrong way up a one way street in my car profile.

This video might help you as it tells how to join ‘direct routes’ (ie to continue the magenta line to points on a map where there is no road shown) on to regular ‘squiggly line’ routes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Tavi51z5EY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If not, try a Google of something like, ‘Off road routing Garmin BaseCamp’ and surf about.

Report back.

Fortifications Route

Hi Richard, you're correct as usual. Recalculating with Narrow Trails (and climbing paths for good measure) set as an avoidance sorted the problem of the cycle paths in the route published on the Ardennes website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom