Service warning light

Neil A

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How do I turn off the annoying service warning light on the dash of my 2015 XR? Dealer not keen to do it. Do I need a GS 911 thing?

Why is the dealer not keen to do it ?

I went in yesterday. They said the BMW system was down and so they couldn't log in at that point. They said they could turn it off, but they weren't supposed to (couldn't?) do it just on the bike, but on the system as well, and then not unless they had evidence that the work had been done, as apparently they have to dismiss each required service item one by one. The record then stays on the BMW system attached to the VIN number, so anyone buying that bike in future could go to a dealer and ask them to check the service record, which would show that the work had been done, although in this case, it might not have been.

I see their point and although in this case it's a pain, I think I approve in general

I use an OBD link tool, costs significantly less than GS911 (less functionality, suppose it depends what functions you want/need)

https://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/bmw-gs-rs-rt-f-k-series-motorcycle-obd-kit-obdlink-lx-and-10-pin-adapter.html

Take care to order an adapter cable suitable for your bike

Thanks for that. I have checked the site, but they don't seem to cover the S-series of bikes. The page you land on from the link says that it's suitable for C, F, G K & R series bikes, but doesn't mention the S. I used the search function for "S1000XR" and it returned no results. Have you sued it for a bike from the S-series?

I just saw this on another thread, "......K49 (S 1000 XR)   (05/2014 — 05/2019).....", so will contact Scantool Direct to see if they cover the XR

Thanks for that. I have checked the site, but they don't seem to cover the S-series of bikes. The page you land on from the link says that it's suitable for C, F, G K & R series bikes, but doesn't mention the S. I used the search function for "S1000XR" and it returned no results. Have you sued it for a bike from the S-series?

I believe all you need for it to work on an S series, is the approprate adaptor cable. Mine is an "R" & I suspect the S series uses same cable, just not listed.

I expect Scantool can advise

NB The link in post 7 seems to recommed OBD-Link MX or LX, i.e the tool I originally suggested (unless I'm missing something) You'll need the Motoscan app (software) wherever you source the hardware

Back
Top Bottom