French motorway tolls motorcycles - auto payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s still automatic for France as your reg is not read but one of the other countries needs a reg plate, I think it’s Spain and maybe Portugal too

Portugal certainly - Spain still has barriers on all roads I have used but in Portugal, on some roads like those around Porto, you pass through a lane with an ANPR camera so it is important to keep the reg. no updated. This is easy to do as Chrome on my phone or tablet remembers my login details so, as you say, can be done on the fly.

I use an APRR unit. Costs €1.70 per month if not used.
Prices went up on 01.02.20, generally by 1-1.5%

You can work out your costs here

With my APRR contract I only pay about 2 euro for a month in which a bill is generated, so maybe 4 months a year. I am more than happy to pay an 8 euro service charge for the convenience, especially if in Portugal where there is no way to pay by cash or card on some motorways, especially the new urban ones.

On some bridges motorbikes are directed to a side lane, at no cost to the rider. A motorway with a ‘free’ pavement for motorbikes (if one exists) is quite another thing.
I came across one of those years ago and went through for free with everyone else following me. Later that day I did the same thing on a similar looking toll and we all got hauled over by Les Flics. I can't remember exactly where except it was probably NW France.

I guess we have now established that there are no free pavements for motorcyclists on French motorways.

The bod has had his question answered, too.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom