French motorway tolls motorcycles - auto payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some mates and I are travelling through France in June and hate using the booths due the stress they create. Getting gloves off, finding money, getting out the way, picking up dropped gloves then finally get going again having wasted time and frustrated other drivers. Is it worth getting an auto payment device and are they costly? I believe bikes are class 5? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

But that's half the fun at the toll. Piss them off enough and they may not charge for bikes ....... one lives in hope. :)

Yes get one they’re brilliant for bikes, just leave it in your jacket pocket and it will be detected by the toll booth

There are various threads on here but basically just avoid the lanes with “Reserved” above them and you’ll pay the bike charge

Go through the “30kmh” lanes and you don’t even need to stop

They also do Europe tags now for multiple countries, mine does France, Italy, Spain and Portugal

But that's half the fun at the toll. Piss them off enough and they may not charge for bikes ....... one lives in hope. :)

Don’t be a Git

I have a widget that sits on my screen, cost around £10 a year, which takes payment via a company in Yorkshire. Seems to work well, sometimes you might be charged as a car, just check your account when you get home and the nice people in Yorkshire sort it out

Prior to that a debit card avoided messing around, but you need to check the screen and ensure you are paying the bike rate.

When I’m in a car I always avoid any payment queue with a biker in the front, it’s bound to be a git.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some mates and I are travelling through France in June and hate using the booths due the stress they create. Getting gloves off, finding money, getting out the way, picking up dropped gloves then finally get going again having wasted time and frustrated other drivers. Is it worth getting an auto payment device and are they costly? I believe bikes are class 5? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

I have the Sanef Dongle that is invoiced through my Bank account in the UK. Works well and have never had a problem with it.

If you are travelling through the Tunnel buy the Dongle using their Web site as you don't get charged the joining fee.

I have the Sanef Dongle that is invoiced through my Bank account in the UK. Works well and have never had a problem with it.

If you are travelling through the Tunnel buy the Dongle using their Web site as you don't get charged the joining fee.

I use this system too. It is good. :okay

Good advice about the Tunnel website. I didn't know about that

Thanks for that, just bought one.

Is it worth getting an auto payment

Yes it is worth it.
Funnily enough, the reason for me is when I'm driving the car, not the bike.

Also until you get the telepass/telepeage thingie: pay the tool with a debit/credit card (kept in a strategic pocket) and get through in less than one minute.

They also do Europe tags now for multiple countries, mine does France, Italy, Spain and Portugal

Is this correct? I didn't think so. SANEF offer one tag that does France, but a different tag that does Spain & Portugal. That is my understanding

Mine’s an APRR topEurope tag
https://www.aprr.fr/fr/telepeagelibert/particuliers/offre-topeurop

Have a search for what’s available to UK residents, this is a subsidiary of Sanef
https://www.bipandgo.com/en/le-telepeage-europe/

There are certainly others

I have the APRR TopEurop TAG too - they are happy to send one to the UK. Website is in French but google chrome translates okay. Mine covers France, Spain & Portugal and I find it very good, although it was not seen when in my jacket a couple of times. I moved it to my tankbag and it was fine.

I have the APRR TopEurop TAG too - they are happy to send one to the UK. Website is in French but google chrome translates okay. Mine covers France, Spain & Portugal and I find it very good, although it was not seen when in my jacket a couple of times. I moved it to my tankbag and it was fine.

Sanef UK only offer seperate tags:

"Emovis Tag UK Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Abertis one of the largest Toll Road concessionaires globally. Abertis is also the owner of our sister companies Sanef, Bip&Go, Bip&Drive. We distribute Liber-t and VIA-T tags on behalf of Sanef (Bip&Go) and Bip&Drive.

Liber-t is the French autoroute tolls or telepeage scheme operated by the association of French motorway operators. VIA-T / Via Verde are the Spanish and Portuguese equivalents and we are now proud to be offering these additional services to our UK customers.

We provide customer services and manage our IT Systems from our UK office in Harrogate, North Yorkshire."

Motorways are boring, take the N or D roads!

some of them in France and Spain are anything other than boring - undulating, very twisty and great scenery. Try riding along the coast from Bilbao westwards or south from Clermont Ferrand

plus, I am quite happy to blast down a motorway for a (half) day to hasten getting to somewhere I really want to be e.g. the A26 down to Chalons before cutting across to St Die des Vosges or Epinal; or maybe the autoroute to Lille and beyond if heading to the Ardennes for a weekend.

Some of the motorways have boring stretches. Some are stunning. All are usually quite fast and a hell of a lot faster than the N and D roads. Everyone does routes differently but its daft to waste all day to save a few quid in tolls. I dont like tolls but if you have time to check yer route you can entertain yerself all along it. Checkout which motorways are free too. The Spanish have stopped charging on the north end of AP7 and A4 all along it. A20 and A28 along with loads of "ring roads" around the cities are free. I get from Calais to Murcia Spain for 30 yo yo OR less if want to visit about. The Toll part will definitley save yer at least 1 days slog and extra digs
HTHY

You never bothered to reply to the help you received to your “I am going to the Black Forest, help me” post nor to your “Help me, I’m going to Belgium, will I need headlight converters and will I get caught?” appeal.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/519639-Black-Forrest-trip-planned-for-June-2020

UKGSer is a two way street. If you want it one way, use TripAdviser or Google.

You never bothered to reply to the help you received to your “I am going to the Black Forest, help me” post nor to your “Help me, I’m going to Belgium, will I need headlight converters and will I get caught?” appeal.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/519639-Black-Forrest-trip-planned-for-June-2020

UKGSer is a two way street. If you want it one way, use TripAdviser or Google.

I think that for some the fact that they pay £12 entitles them to unlimited advice and it’s ok for it to be a one way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom