Road King... anyone got one?

Jason P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I'm beginning to regret selling my Evo RK. And hankering for another. Ideally I'd like a police spec one (not with noddy lights, but because I like the unchromed look) but they seem rare round these parts. Lots stateside for silly money - almost tempted to try importing one but for the equally silly fees the govmint seems hell bent on charging.

Anyone know of any for sale that are nice, unmolested examples?

:D

Rather than just importing one could you buy one over here and spend 2-3 weeks riding around, then ship it back?

Rather than just importing one could you buy one over here and spend 2-3 weeks riding around, then ship it back?

With the current EU/US trade issues ... it adds another 25% of the cost of the bike onto the current tariffs and VAT...so private imports do not work at the moment....it marks up the bike by near 50%...

Now when our free trade deal is agreed ( if) then it would be viable -

So I'm beginning to regret selling my Evo RK. And hankering for another. Ideally I'd like a police spec one (not with noddy lights, but because I like the unchromed look) but they seem rare round these parts. Lots stateside for silly money - almost tempted to try importing one but for the equally silly fees the govmint seems hell bent on charging.

Anyone know of any for sale that are nice, unmolested examples?

:D

Is it an EVO you want?? Or a TC?

If they charge you an extra 50% of what you paid I suppose not.

Does the 25% go to the EU? Or does England get it? And for used is it and the VAT based on the actual purchase price?

Does the 25% go to the EU? Or does England get it? And for used is it and the VAT based on the actual purchase price?

If we import a bike from the US HMRC calculate VAT ( UK) at 20% of the purchase price - then 6% Duty as we do not have a free trade agreement with the US .... then from 2018 when DT started imposing tariffs on EU goods the EU retaliated with a 25% tariff on certain US products including Motorcycles, jeans, peanuts, boats, diggers and plant etc...

As far as I’m aware they are accumulative...so if I spent 7,000 $ on a Harley I would add £600 shipping plus £5,400 purchase then £1,000 ish in VAT £325 in Duty then another £1,300 ish in tit for tat tariffs.....this would go to the UK gov...so my 7k$ Harley would cost me £8,625...

It’s cheaper to buy second hand here...

If it’s over 30 years old you do not pay the VAT element...

When I looked at the Harley’s in LVHD the prices are virtually the same as in the UK - so no real benefit anymore..

It must be hurting HD as they absorbing the 25% tariff..... rather then raise prices.

I see, so we need to determine if our tariff on EU steel applies to GB who’s now not part of EU. Then if GB wants to continue with their tariffs on motorcycles on their own, because EU can’t make them now. Right?
Farage should have no problem dealing with Trump on a favorable trade agreement.

I see, so we need to determine if our tariff on EU steel applies to GB who’s now not part of EU. Then if GB wants to continue with their tariffs on motorcycles on their own, because EU can’t make them now. Right?
Farage should have no problem dealing with Trump on a favorable trade agreement.

As part of the transition agreement we abide by EU rules until January 21

We need to negotiate our new agreement with both the UK and US..

Nigel Farage does not have a role in any of the negotiations.

I didn't know, thanks for making me aware of that.

Yes and might as well get it sorted now so everyone can prepare.

Yes I realize that's not his capacity, I should have inserted a ;) The two do seem to get along well so I would think he and Trump chatting informally could set the stage for a quick trade negotiation. I don't really understand why there needs to be any tariff between two countries such as UK and US anyway?

I didn't know, thanks for making me aware of that.

Yes and might as well get it sorted now so everyone can prepare.

Yes I realize that's not his capacity, I should have inserted a ;) The two do seem to get along well so I would think he and Trump chatting informally could set the stage for a quick trade negotiation. I don't really understand why there needs to be any tariff between two countries such as UK and US anyway?

Reckon Mr Farage wants to be UK's Ambassador to Washington!!!

ref the trade deal - according to UK press it's being worked on now - i think the two issues are Pharma and Food..... everything else ( Cars/Diggers/Machines etc is no big stress)

What year and how much do you want to spend

Well the realistic answer to that is sub 10k, less if possible. I'd like a bike as plain as possible - there are a few machines I've seen that are a little covered in shiny stuff for me, and I know I could replace parts but that's a faff and expense if there are no original parts with the bike. I'd prefer something mechanically looked after with less of the shine factor. There's a couple that have taken my eye on the usual sites - one's a firefighter edition, one's a later 09 model with the new chassis. I'd like cruise but it's not a limiting factor.

Back
Top Bottom