Gear change lever not returning

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Firstly I should point out that I’m a bit lax when it comes to routine maintenance and periodic removal of road salt so that’s probably the root cause of the problem but...

The gear change on my 1150 is a bit ‘sticky’ and sometimes needs a bit of a tap to return it before a gear change can be accomplished so is it likely to be simply a case if breaking open every joint, giving them a good clean then lubricate, reassemble and forget for a few years or do these wear and should I be looking at buying any parts in advance rather than pull it apart, put it together then pull it apart again? It’s got about 45k miles on it and it’s rapidly approaching 20 years old.

Yes, pull the ball joints apart and grease but it's more likely you also need to grease the pivot bush so take the gear lever off clean it up and lube.

Yes, my 1150 suffered from this occasionally. Just shit in the bush (that's a description not an instruction).

Do you need a video or pictures to help undertake this task?

Yes, my 1150 suffered from this occasionally. Just shit in the bush (that's a description not an instruction).

Do you need a video or pictures to help undertake this task?

I’m sure I can accomplish the task with the aid of a hammer and screwdriver.

Yes, pull the ball joints apart and grease but it's more likely you also need to grease the pivot bush so take the gear lever off clean it up and lube.

I thought that’d be the case. I’ll get on with it before I next use the bike. Thanks.

It's no good just removing the gearliever and lubing the bolt etc...The bush needs to be pushed out of the gear lever, it's the bush the gearlever bolt secures down onto and the lever pivots freely on the bush.

Use wet and dry or emery paper on the outside of the bush and the inner gearlever where the bush pushes into, get it nice and loose before then using a decent grease when refitting.

Calm down in the cheap seats ��

I’ll read that lot later.

Essentially the same stuff. I had this problem on my 1150 some years ago. Steptoe's advice is, of course, spot on. If you have been used to your old, sticky lever, it makes a very noticeable improvement :thumb

I’ll see if I can get time to strip it all out today then take the parts to work, degrease everything and then check the bush for corrosion and give it a bit of a polish if required.

Thanks guys :thumb2

It's no good just removing the gearliever and lubing the bolt etc...The bush needs to be pushed out of the gear lever, it's the bush the gearlever bolt secures down onto and the lever pivots freely on the bush.
:D
Use wet and dry or emery paper on the outside of the bush and the inner gearlever where the bush pushes into, get it nice and loose before then using a decent grease when refitting.

I can’t get the bastard bolt out! I got a tiny bit of movement on it with a long series hex key plus an extension bar so it’s got to wait until my elusive van returns from the dealers and I can get socket hex keys on it amd really give it some brutality :D It’s not a left hand thread for any reason is it?

I did open, clean and apply lithium grease to the ball joints so that might offer a small improvement because they were dry apart from a few spots of solidified grease on them.

I can’t get the bastard bolt out! I got a tiny bit of movement on it with a long series hex key plus an extension bar so it’s got to wait until my elusive van returns from the dealers and I can get socket hex keys on it amd really give it some brutality :D It’s not a left hand thread for any reason is it?

I did open, clean and apply lithium grease to the ball joints so that might offer a small improvement because they were dry apart from a few spots of solidified grease on them.

Use a heat gun, it may be Loctited a nd remember which way to turn it to loosen because it will be cw when looking at the footrest.

Use a heat gun, it may be Loctited a nd remember which way to turn it to loosen because it will be cw when looking at the footrest.

Heat gun,now there’s a good idea. I’ll report back later because I purchased a new heat gun about 2 weeks ago and it need trying out :D

The new (baby size) heat gun failed so I fetched out the daddy one, piled some heat into it and out it came. Yep, that blue gunge on the bolt is Loctite.

Cheers Tim.

3192057d811d587dcb5eed52ce7a021c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom