Opinions of R1100S

See my post above. It is also the spec it was raced in the Boxercup series 2000 - 2003 I think. The series followed the MotoGP rounds but not all of them. Randy Mamola was the ambassador for the series. The reason for the very tall suspension was to get more ground clearance and thus more corner speed out of the bike. The little SS bits on the carbon tappet covers are there because SS is much less grippy than carbon fiber when it grinds on tarmac.

THIS is the best colour :D :D :D

Had the Boxercup for a few years.
I also had a friend's Mamola for 6/8 months - the riding position is quite different.

Great bike. You have to physically "ride" it. Still super enjoyable on tight twisties, better cruiser at speed than my 1200GS and you can travel easily with it.
Been in France with the gf as a pillion a couple of times, and rode it back and forth to/from Italy a few times.

Only... the Boxercup (mine had Ohlins front and back) has the tendency of pivoting on the side stand when loaded with panniers and bags :)

We (the wife), had an R1100SS (in grey), the logic at the time was that the bike was advertised as 199Kg dry weight, which should have been lighter for her to manoeuvre / push / park etc.

She did manage Aberdeen to the South of France on it so it was used, but ultimately she found the riding position hard on the shoulders on a long run.

:thumb

Drop Wreford Miles of this parish a PM - I think he still has his rather splendid example and absolutely loves it.

A long time ago I worked with BMW on their track day events and I used to get given 6 boxercup specials every year for our instructors to use. Despite feeling a bit agricultural (or with character if you prefer!:rob) they handled well enough to get the pots on the deck and grind away the covers :D

Tis a lovely bike, not a city bike

Attachments

• E037E6D8-11F0-420D-9E50-909B2349426B.jpg
    E037E6D8-11F0-420D-9E50-909B2349426B.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 233
My misses had a Randy rep a few years back, she rode it to Spain on holiday, but we sold it as she found it too high. She has a lowered FJR1300 now.
jNIgiPyh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom