Opinions of R1100S

flytoolow

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I have a hankering for an R1100s, maybe in boxercup form for scratching around a city and associated areas.

Does anyone have any opinions to share? It seemed to be well received in the on-line reviews?

Need something smaller than a GSA, and more reliable than something from Bimota.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

F2L

I could never get on.with that big boat like superstructure but that's just personal aesthetics. As a sports tourer , great but not really a city bike.

Not a city bike at all, as said above................

But get a well-sorted one on a twisty A-road, and they make real sense.

Some might say that a GS is just as fast (inc 1200) - but the R1100s seems to have much more 'punch' when the throttle is opened.

Pannier system is great, too.

Had one for 10 yrs, a bit of a lump around town/low speeds but overall a good every day all round bike, I only changed to a GS as my joints started to complain on longer trips, a 1100s sport model is the same bike as the early BCR’s without the fancy paint but cheaper, have a look on the Boxertrix forum, (it’s not as busy as here) but decent ones come up for sale occasionally and lots of long term knowledgeable owners on there.

Al.

If I had enough money then I would have bought the one at Wollaston BMW. Its a Mamola and 16000 miles from memory. Unmarked and has BMW luggage too.

At £6,995 I felt it was a good price for what is a collectable and useable bike. It has the carbon rocker covers too which are just unobtanium today.

5 x Boxer Cups/Mamola's on eBay currently. From c£5.5k to £9.5k !

Sadly I don't have a link to it.

Very reliable bike. Only known weakness is the gearbox splines wear but easily checked but a pain to repair. Home servicing is not complicated. Running costs are much cheaper than a modern GS.

Overall the bike is very stable on the road in a corner thanks to the geometry and telelever. Power delivery is very linear with no surprises. It can carry luggage for 2 for short trips or keep up with the modern bikes in an intermediate session track day such is the depth of ability of this bike. It comes into its own as a fast sports tourer. That is what it is build to do and it does it well.

For a city bike it is not the best choice. The dry clutch and air/oil cooled design of the engine is not really suitable for day in day out city riding. Definitely not in the height of summer.

There a 4 different R1100S models to choose from.
R1100S - Stock bike, grey springs on the Showa suspension, 170 section rear tyre.
R1100S Sport - Stock bike, taller suspension with yellow springs, 180 section rear tyre. Last production run of the 11S was R1100S Sport models only.
R1100S Randy Mamola - White and blue checkered paint job, RM signature, carbon engine tappet covers, Laser exhaust (race exhaust optional) with chip for the fueling, carbon belly pan, white dials, same as the R1100S Sport otherwise. Collectible, single spark and dual spark engines. Single spark RM models rare as hens teeth. Limited production.
R1100S Boxercup - taller Showa suspension with yellow springs (this bike is as tall as a GS), Red, white and blue BMW paint job, carbon belly pan, carbon engine tappet covers, Laser exhaust (race exhaust optional) with chip for the fueling, white dials, GS handlebar mounted mirrors. Collectible. Not a limited no production. You could order one from BMW.

All of the above could be ordered with luggage, tool kit, tyre repair kit. 2002/2003 the single spark engine was changed to a duel spark engine. It also received a bit of a makeover with a different handle bar layout with a headlight that is always on in line with the new regulations. Different colours etc. The last year saw some new metallic colours added to the options, metallic blue and maroon.

Loads of mods available, Taller screens, plusher seats, exhausts, suspension from reputable companies, carbon wheels, after market bellypans, Lennies carbon intake (worthwhile mod with a air filter and exhaust), PC111 USB (rare find nowadays, should get one if you have fitted the exhaust and inlet), gear indicator from buzzzz, shorter telelever, custom headstock (very expensive but beautiful), 1150 engine mod, and some other bits and pieces form a company that used to race the bikes.

The place to go is either Boxertrix (UK) or pelican parts (more US based) but both sites very knowledgeable about the bikes.

Mine is for sale but not if it is going to used as a city bike.

Drop Wreford Miles of this parish a PM - I think he still has his rather splendid example and absolutely loves it.

A long time ago I worked with BMW on their track day events and I used to get given 6 boxercup specials every year for our instructors to use. Despite feeling a bit agricultural (or with character if you prefer!:rob) they handled well enough to get the pots on the deck and grind away the covers :D

Great machines, manderin & graphite bike is my wifes bike & BCR is mine, have spent this weekend converting BCR to superbike handlebar set-up. Everyone should own one once. :thumb2

Attachments

• Lovely.jpg
    Lovely.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 606
Yes the old R1100S is a great bike without ABS the Boxer Cup are a tad high though. If doing a track day remove the centre stand.
ZJvGpKEh.jpg

a nightmare in a nice way!
so much you can do to them and easy to go over the top

Hi all,

I think I have a hankering for an R1100s, maybe in boxercup form for scratching around a city and associated areas.

Does anyone have any opinions to share? It seemed to be well received in the on-line reviews?

Need something smaller than a GSA, and more reliable than something from Bimota.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

F2L

I have the Red/White/Blue version.
Not a city bike at all...
Track day, A roads, B roads (Isle of man), tour Europe with great panniers.
It is a feckin big bike...!

45k miles:
Servicing a doddle (if a bit bmw'y )
The usual tyres, couple of batteries.
Alt belt at about 30k
Pivot pins about 35k
Stick coils (did both, if one was banjoed, I'm sure other was on the way) 35k'ish
Clutch and starter motor 45k

Output splines (engine to gearbox) cannot be checked...without a complete rear-end strip down, including the frame on that model. .
Mine perfect on inspection while doing the clutch.

As I say, magic machine, but as tall as an 1150gsa.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Output splines (engine to gearbox) cannot be checked...without a complete rear-end strip down, including the frame on that model. .
Mine perfect on inspection while doing the clutch.

Do a search on pelican parts. There is a guide. Takes 5 minutes. Well, you won't see the splines but you can measure the play.

Do a search on pelican parts. There is a guide. Takes 5 minutes. Well, you won't see the splines but you can measure the play.
Never did find that guide, perhaps you could be so kind as to share the link...?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Bollocks, that is a lot of searching. Involves taking the grommet off the clutch housing.

So, thanks for the opinions.

Seems like a good bike from what you say.

Now, Is the Boxercup really that special? What distinguishes it from the others - apart from the colour scheme and the commanding value second hand. Personally I prefer the Grey/ Tangerine /orange scheme - but what defines the BCR from the others ?

For an 1150 GSA for example, its the tanks, the wheels, the height etc - but for the BCR - what is it ?

F2L

Back
Top Bottom