Transferring routes to Nav5 without pc?

stanley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Please help!
When at home, I can create routes on either Basecamp or My Route App. I can then transfer them to my Nav 5 without any problems.

However, I find it a nightmare to plan or update routes when I'm away from home.
I'd really like to be able to create routes using My Route App on a mobile device and then transfer this directly to the Nav 5.
I realise I could do this with a Windows based laptop, but is there any other way?

What I'm really asking is, can I create a route using a smartphone or tablet, then put that route on my Nav 5?!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Save the route to an sd card as gpx from the tablet (even IOS devices can save to sd using the files app), put the sd card in Nav 5 and import it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save the route to an sd card as gpx from the tablet (even IOS devices can save to sd using the files app), put the sd card in Nav 5 and import it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Bit of a pain taking the card out of the Nav5 though. Surely there must be a way via a cable or similar?
Or would be great if we could just plug the Nav into a phone or tablet!

Thanks. Bit of a pain taking the card out of the Nav5 though. Surely there must be a way via a cable or similar?

No easy way via a cable or Bluetooth.

It would be great if we had wings, too. Those and a Ferrari 488 and an endless supply of sherbet. Sometimes life just ain’t fair.

not without major faff there isnt, you could take a macbook air or the likes, a microsoft surface would probably do the job as well, all expensive items (relative i know) or a small 10 inch laptop would do, you could pick one up for around £50. failing that you could use your phone as a gps, and with a couple of apps have a really good alternative.

not without major faff there isnt, you could take a macbook air or the likes, a microsoft surface would probably do the job as well, all expensive items (relative i know) or a small 10 inch laptop would do, you could pick one up for around £50. failing that you could use your phone as a gps, and with a couple of apps have a really good alternative.
I did have a look at the Microsoft Surface... A lot more than I want to spend!
Maybe a cheap laptop is the way.

I take a cheapo acer one runing windows 7 not the quickest thing but does the job, and using basecamp or map source i have no need of cell service or internet,

With a bit of practice is does not take long to knock up a route in a Zumo or Nav. I no longer take a Windows laptop on trips, just use a phone or 10" tablet, using Google maps to plot the route, then plot directly on the Zumo. The reason I use Google maps is to get the road number or street name on the exit of a town or junction and use that as the waypoint.

After reading a previous thread on this subject I bought a File-hub that lets me connect my iPhone to the Hub by WiFi and then by USB cable from Hub to Nav VI. So can save the MyRouteApp GPX file direct from iPhone to Nav VI. The Hub cost £27.19 from Amazon and can also be used as a Battery backup for the iPhone, Helmet Headset, etc.

Here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=RAV...7j0l4j69i61.4478j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you buy one and have questions about setting it up, come back to me.

EDIT: Just checked Amazon and they say not available but if you search then you should be able to find a newer version.

Not really - battery cover off, batter out, sd card out. 30 seconds.

Or buy a laptop or Mac air or something, then to transfer routes, find the laptop, switch it on to find the battery has only 10% left, wait for it to boot up, locate the cables, plug them in, fire up base camp, just in time for the laptop battery to die.

None of the Garmin devices plug in to a phone or tablet or use Bluetooth for file transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading a previous thread on this subject I bought a File-hub that lets me connect my iPhone to the Hub by WiFi and then by USB cable from Hub to Nav VI. So can save the MyRouteApp GPX file direct from iPhone to Nav VI. The Hub cost £27.19 from Amazon and can also be used as a Battery backup for the iPhone, Helmet Headset, etc.

Here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=RAV...7j0l4j69i61.4478j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: Just checked Amazon and they say not available but if you search then you should be able to find a newer version.

Or, just pop the card out of the nav 5 and transfer it. I use the file hub described and it’s great for moving lots of things like photos but a lot of faff for one gpx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the link:

Thanks for that John. I'd never heard of these devices. I've had a quick look at them and I'm going to give one a try. Being a reserve battery pack, and being able to boost the home wifi will also be useful.

Thanks again for responses

Here's the link:

This has turned out to be the perfect solution for me.
I picked up a used Filehub from Ebay for just over £20. It took a bit of trial and error to get everything set up, but now I can create routes on my phone (or cheapo tablet) and send them to the Nav5 in moments. Super easy!
The Filehub also boosts my wifi signal so devices now work in the garage (signal was hit and miss without). Lots of other handy uses too.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hi Stanley,

Pleased that the Filehub does what you need. I had exactly the same problem and it works for me as I want to be able to modify routes made with MRA on the PC at home while away touring in case of a change of plans.

I have found that it takes a while for the Nav VI to be recognised by the Hub though.

Completely agree regarding learning how to use it, as I also spent a lot of time getting my head round the WiFi and USB links.

Back
Top Bottom