G/S and Keihan exhaust system

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Airhead learned ones, :rob

I have recently purchased an R80 G/S fitted with a new Keihan full S/S exhaust system, and the system fit seems poor.

I’m trying to get both the side stand and centre stand to work correctly so that the rubber bump stops on each of the stands butt up to the bike frame in the proper place when folded.

The problem I’m having is that both stands would prefer to come up against the exhaust pipes before the rubber bump stops can reach their proper landing places on the chassis.

Is this fairly normal for such after market exhaust systems like Keihan? :nenau

I have just done a totsl restoration on a 1969 69S. Last thing I bought a full Keihan system from Motorworks.
I had a similar problem. But the problem was the centre stand had splayed trough use & was too wide. I pulled it in with a ratchet strap. Didn't even mark powder coating & stand hit rubbers as it should.

I have a g/s with a Keihan system and have no such problems.

Does it have the correct exhaust system fitted? May be worth posting up some pictures of the problem.

I have Keihan system on my bike and it’s fine, it may need loosening all the clamps and front pipes and re positioning the pipes in the silencer, I have a loads of keihan stuff over the years and it fine.

H'mm, I have had everything slack, I'll give it another go tonight.

Just wanted to be sure that it was/was-not doable before sending it to a decent bike pipe-man.

Hi Airhead learned ones, :rob

I have recently purchased an R80 G/S fitted with a new Keihan full S/S exhaust system, and the system fit seems poor.

I’m trying to get both the side stand and centre stand to work correctly so that the rubber bump stops on each of the stands butt up to the bike frame in the proper place when folded.

The problem I’m having is that both stands would prefer to come up against the exhaust pipes before the rubber bump stops can reach their proper landing places on the chassis.

Is this fairly normal for such after market exhaust systems like Keihan? :nenau

You may have a system to fit a later paralever bike, they look similar and will fit but have slight differences so you end up with little problems like you have.

You may have a system to fit a later paralever bike, they look similar and will fit but have slight differences so you end up with little problems like you have.

Thanks Steptoe,
The exhaust was on the bike when I purchased it last week, the bike was recently fully restored by a reputable bmw biker builder of this parish, so it should hopefully be the correct part. However, I’ll get the part number and double check with Keihan.

Exhaust is now fitted and is nice fit, it just needed a fresh coat of looking at, and a bit of careful fettling and fiddling.

It was the correct exhaust as I double checked all the part numbers with Keihan and all is good.

Thanks to all for your input/help/advice.:thumb2

I’m looking for a g/s tool tray now, and a tool kit, has anyone got a spare one to sell?

Tool trays are rare. Try Motorworks - they sometimes have them in stock. There is a also a firm in Germany breaking lots of BMW's selling through ebay. They have advertised some before.

Do you need an original tool kit? If it is going to be an all original bike then possibly, but otherwise you could assemble your own tool kit and probably get higher quality tools for less money.

Exhaust is now fitted and is nice fit, it just needed a fresh coat of looking at, and a bit of careful fettling and fiddling.

It was the correct exhaust as I double checked all the part numbers with Keihan and all is good.

Thanks to all for your input/help/advice.:thumb2

I’m looking for a g/s tool tray now, and a tool kit, has anyone got a spare one to sell?
I’ve sent you a pm about tool tray and tools.

Motorbins have the tool kits. Even though it's quoted as the original, and all the tools look like the originals, I can't quite get it to fit in the tool tray. :blast

Thanks Rossi, I’ll try motorworks.

Paul I have pm’d you.

Tufty, I’ll try motobins, but if it don’t fit yours then I doubt it will fit mine, a fello tosser has kindly offered to lend me his spare tool tray, but I’d better keep looking to get my own.

Keep em coming please...

Is there a bicycle pump in the frame tube where the tool kit container tongue fits?

2ges and Paul,

No I don’t have a pump or the springy thingy:nenau:nenau

Do you have one 4sale reasonable?

I’ve only ridden it 400 yards to check box and trans.

Hope I’m gonna love it

Any chance of a picture of the springy bit that propels the pump missile out from the frame tube please? I have the original tool kit, tool tray and pump is still in it's original cellophane wrapper, with BMW writing on it, but I don't have a spring loaded fitting. 1988 Paralever 80GS.

The spring should be permanently fitted inside the top tube, and helps push the pump out when you release it. I dont think that it was ever an individual part that could be ordered.

Back
Top Bottom