Chain and sprockets 1290 super adventure

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Best to go oem or anything else? I’ve got about 18000 miles out of mine so not complaining and will probably go oem but just checking

My thoughts are that the OEM chains are made by DID ( or other renowned chain maker) the OEM ones are cheapened down a bit with out the anodized or whatever side plates

BMW are the same as are Ducati in as much as the chains are good but in saving every penny the manufacturers get DID or whoever to make them just a bit cheaper

Go after market DID and you will, IMO, get a better chain at less cost

Sprockets are a whole different ball game and OEM are probably as good as any

My thoughts are that the OEM chains are made by DID ( or other renowned chain maker) the OEM ones are cheapened down a bit with out the anodized or whatever side plates

BMW are the same as are Ducati in as much as the chains are good but in saving every penny the manufacturers get DID or whoever to make them just a bit cheaper

Go after market DID and you will, IMO, get a better chain at less cost

Sprockets are a whole different ball game and OEM are probably as good as any

DID VX2 chains are good, with KTMs it's best to go with OEM front sprockets as others may' cause premature spline wear, Supersprox are great rears.

DID VX2 chains are good, with KTMs it's best to go with OEM front sprockets as others may' cause premature spline wear, Supersprox are great rears.

Yup, recently fitted DID VX2 to my 1190 with OEM front/rear sprockets. I was able to get a 'black' chain too which pleased me as I'm no fan of blingy gold chains :)

Chain was from Wemoto and the sprockets from Bikers Jersey ~ don't forget to order a new tab washer for the front sprocket and if your chain needs doing almost certainly your chain slider will need doing which is a much easier job to do if you have your chain already off! DAMHIK :blast

Andres

Agree with the above:

> OEM front sprocket
> Supersprox rear sprocket
> DID VX2 chain

Sorted.....:D

Yup, did mine a few days ago. JT sprockets and DID chain. Wemoto do the kit. I got the new chain slider from Jersey KTM. Despite opinion being you need to part remove the swing arm to get the new slider in....you don't, it can be done with some careful bending.

How do you lot do the river link? Do you have riveting tools or just twat it with a hammer and pin punch?

And I can’t find vx2 chains - vx heavy duty and zvm-x super heavy duty is what’s listed in wemoto

How do you lot do the river link? Do you have riveting tools or just twat it with a hammer and pin punch?

I bought the Motion Pro rivetting tool. Not cheap but my theory being there is a lot of power it has to absorb. I would rather have confidence when at 8K revs that my chain isn't about to come whizzing past my bonce (or worse).

I bought the Motion Pro rivetting tool. Not cheap but my theory being there is a lot of power it has to absorb. I would rather have confidence when at 8K revs that my chain isn't about to come whizzing past my bonce (or worse).

As you know i have no real idea as to how to use tools but Motion pro stuff is very good

At least to look at

They make Titanium spanners which are just gorgeous but unaffordable

And I can’t find vx2 chains - vx heavy duty and zvm-x super heavy duty is what’s listed in wemoto

Apologies, just double checked, it's the zvm-x that I fitted (same thing as Tim's quoted chain in reality).

Re riviting I use a cheap (£20) ebay version of Melch's Motion Pro. It'll rivit just as well you just have to be more careful using it as it's not as robust.......mind you mine's a good ten years old and still going strong.

Getting the old chain off is the most fun 'cos I get to play with my angle grinder :D

Andres

As you know i have no real idea as to how to use tools but Motion pro stuff is very good

At least to look at

They make Titanium spanners which are just gorgeous but unaffordable

Well thanks for that 'Mr Tight Nuts' :D

Apologies, just double checked, it's the zvm-x that I fitted (same thing as Tim's quoted chain in reality).

Re riviting I use a cheap (£20) ebay version of Melch's Motion Pro. It'll rivit just as well you just have to be more careful using it as it's not as robust.......mind you mine's a good ten years old and still going strong.

Getting the old chain off is the most fun 'cos I get to play with my angle grinder :D

Andres

You should have made a hipster video whilst making grinder sparks on your bike. Hipsters love that shit.

Back
Top Bottom