F800gs-- side stand springs weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After a bit of gentle offroading on my 800GS the only issue I could find was the sidestand flapping about on the bumpy bits. Its really noticeable through the footrest and could potentially be a big problem if it bounces down far enough to cause the cutout switch to do its thing.

Just wondered if the springs are known for being a bit weak on these bikes and if there's a suitable mod to be done.. Its got a fat foot on it which wont help, but even so its a bit floppy..

Also its the first time its had proper cold cold start since fitting the new camchain tensioner---it quitened down after a second or two and now sounds okay.
thanks.

I’d be inclined to think that it’s down to the fat foot thing.
I never experienced a problem with mine as a standard side stand in over 126,000 miles.

Never noticed any problems with my 7 X F series Rotax twins side stand spring.
Including my 2 X low chassis variants.

I do know when changing the sidestands over from normal hieght to low sidestand, the spring was as hard as feck to get back on.
With it being so strong....

Thanks chaps.
Pretty sure it's not the centre stand-- it is pulled tight onto its rubber buffer pad and gives a dull thud when it hits it, rather than a rattly noise.

Me again....there was a chap on here a few months ago who’s bike would cut out intermittently. Traced to the side stand switch because the added weight of a side stand foot type of thing. Over time the spring was overwhelmed by a weight that the designers had not factored in.

Action:- remove side stand foot.
Result:- no more cutting out.

I would at least be removing the extra lump for a comparison run.

Me again....there was a chap on here a few months ago who’s bike would cut out intermittently. Traced to the side stand switch because the added weight of a side stand foot type of thing. Over time the spring was overwhelmed by a weight that the designers had not factored in.

Action:- remove side stand foot.
Result:- no more cutting out.

I would at least be removing the extra lump for a comparison run.

Thanks. Worth a try.

After a bit of headscratching:confused:and some serious looking at, I tried turning the spring over/ around.
Let the piss taking begin.....but it has made a big difference. Must be summats to do with triangulation and mechanical advantage:nenau as it puts the spring at a slightly steeper angle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_093532.jpg
    IMG_20200316_093532.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20200305_105241.jpg
    IMG_20200305_105241.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 281
The spring on my F650GS is set as per your first picture. However, mine is far more uniform if that makes sense, with the pairs of coils sitting tight together - yours look as if one set have been over-stretched & are thus ineffective.

Time for a new spring me thinks.

More tinkering

Still not totally happy with this so, after rummaging in my odds 'n sods box, I've fitted a pair of springs most likely from a 1200gs. Far better.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_120031.jpg
    IMG_20200419_120031.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom