17 tooth front sprocket

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to put a 17 tooth front sprocket on the GSA to hopefully eliminate the vibes at about 70mph.

I've just spoken to Motorworks and they only have them listed for the F650/700 twins.

The output shaft looks the same so any ideas if this fits? I see no reason why not but worth asking those that know as Motorworks can't confirm.

There's plenty on ebay listed for the 800/GSA Renthal & JT I've changed mine a couple of times (worn) had no issues with either make but steer towards Renthal. Might just be because the 800 is catalogued only as a 16?

I’m surprised Motorworks don’t know. If I remember correctly that’s what I used on my 800 gsa. Sprocket can be tight. No problems that I noticed. Doesn’t effect speedo. JJH

Look at JT Sprockets website it lists full specs ...................... you want a JTF704 or if you want a rubber cushioned one a JTF704RB

I tried to put one tooth higher sprocket on my late 700GS, not enough room for the sprocket to rotate.
But it fitted Perfic on my 650GS SE
So they obviously changed something from.. 2012 to 2017

So dropped one ( 41 tooth ) on the rear sprocket instead, couldn't go 2 teeth as it wouldn't fit..

So it's better, but not as good as I'd hopped

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205-232753.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-232753.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 641
  • Screenshot_20200205-233443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-233443_Gallery.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 624
That's a bit odd. The plastic sprocket cover is different on the 700, maybe that's why. Everything else is the same.

JT front rubber backed sprocket arrived today and fitting it on Thursday.

Apparently the rubber backing keeps transmission noise and vibes at bay so we will see!!

The rubber backing is designed to stop that ringing noise as the sprocket hits the floor after dropping out of the letterbox.
Please let us know what yer recon about the sprockets performance re vibes. Is it through the pegs or bars or all the bike too??
I am looking at T7 or a 16 plate 800gs and interested.

JT front rubber backed sprocket arrived today and fitting it on Thursday.

Apparently the rubber backing keeps transmission noise and vibes at bay so we will see!!

It'll be tight fit Sgt-- very close to the casing but it will fit. I've just gone the other way with mine down to 15t to make it better for off-road riding.

Fitted the sprocket and took her out for a short test ride.

The "buzz" at 70-75mph has now gone and the bike feels a lot more rideable. It always felt a little under geared before hand but is now a lot better.

I felt the buzz through the whole bike before Mick but she seems very smooth now.

Can’t help you with part numbers but I found this useful when choosing a bigger rear sprocket for my T120

Load your bike make and model then see what difference changing sprockets will make

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Thanks for that Leadfarmer, Just today I changed the drive sprocket on my 125 Monkey. The speedo runs off the output shaft , so the calculator showed my speedo error nicely ( 2mph @30 / 4@60)

I want to order the very same for my 59 plate 800 but there are two versions for my bike - 8.5mm and 10.5 mm bolt. Looks as if I'll have to investigate before ordering

I want to order the very same for my 59 plate 800 but there are two versions for my bike - 8.5mm and 10.5 mm bolt. Looks as if I'll have to investigate before ordering

I ordered a JT sprocket from Wemoto.

If you contact JT directly they will give you the right part number but they won't sell it directly.

Just picked up a new set of JT sprockets and a DID Gold X Ring chain for the bike today, bike still has the standard bmw chain on at 10000 miles and at the slightest hint of damp it is rusting plus it is 3/4 way out of adjustment.

£80 all in with my discount

They are great quality Neil. I've been out on a long ride today and the 17 tooth sprocket really makes a difference.

I'll be fitting a JT rear sprocket and new chain before a US trip in June.

Fitted the new chain and sprocket kit today , less than an hour from start to finish...... Better than the Versys last year which took much longer just to shift the front sprocket retaining nut.

Hopefully will get out next week to try it out. The bike still had the original chain fitted ,unbranded and even when oiled it rusted at the sight of rain and was well worn.

Hi guys can you please educate the ignorant?
Apart from the vibes what other difference does it make to the performance of the bike?

Back
Top Bottom