Gearbox help

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, Aaron (my apprentice) has got himself a lovely (and it is) R65 airhead (really, they don’t make them like they used to).

Long story short he’s got a gearbox issue (keeps sticking in the higher gears and not allowing downshift).

I’ve pulled the box out (as per photo) and my enquires lead me to believe that it’s a common fault and something is not functioning properly (something not dropping down when it should?).

Anyhoo, the box was full of thick emulsified oil (which I’m sure hasn’t helped - might just be the fault?).

At the same time the lad has purchased a new set of bearings and gasket (makes sense!).

Is there anyone we know who has the experience with airhead boxes who could a) replace the (free issue) bearings and, if need be, correct the non selecting issue?
2e1bbdee586984ea10531849d8433ace.jpg

Sadly I have no experience of this whatsoever, he’s a good lad (Aaron) and I really want to help him.

Obviously any fair price will be paid - I just want to get it sorted properly for him. Gearbox (as per photo) can be delivered and collected of course.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mark
Cymarc Bike Parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeyboy (Overland and Classic, Holwell) is your man between him and Charlie they could turn it round in no time.

Think the issues is the centering spring on the gear lever shaft:nenau

Mikeyboy on here. Or possibly voyager but he is in Scotland

The emulsified oil is caused by the speedo drive into the gearbox allowing water past the cable seal (the bell shaped one) Fit a new one on re-assembly and fill it with silicone.

Mikeyboy (Overland and Classic, Holwell) is your man between him and Charlie they could turn it round in no time.

Think the issues is the centering spring on the gear lever shaft:nenau

Mikeyboy (who I do know) has very kindly rang me - I was aware of his expertise but wasn’t sure if he could or would help - and he has offered his kind services so all is sorted. It’s excellent that he is able to and I’m sure all will get sorted.

I’ve told Aaron to call him and informed him that he’s a lucky lad!

Thanks guys

Mikeyboy (who I do know) has very kindly rang me - I was aware of his expertise but wasn’t sure if he could or would help - and he has offered his kind services so all is sorted. It’s excellent that he is able to and I’m sure all will get sorted.

I’ve told Aaron to call him and informed him that he’s a lucky lad!

Thanks guys

I'm going to Mikeyboys tomorrow to collect and deliver the infamous Bultaco:aidan, if you like you could drop the gearbox of with me at Collingham NG23 7LA (Fine-Align Ltd) and save a few miles.

I'm going to Mikeyboys tomorrow to collect and deliver the infamous Bultaco:aidan, if you like you could drop the gearbox of with me at Collingham NG23 7LA (Fine-Align Ltd) and save a few miles.

I’ll ask Aaron but he may want to make other arrangements - very very kind offer tho - what time will you be leaving that location?

I’ll ask Aaron but he may want to make other arrangements - very very kind offer tho - what time will you be leaving that location?

Say by half ten to eleven o'clock, if I know he's coming I can wait a little.

A trip to see Mikey would be good for him to see what he can do, but tell him to watch his wallet you could spend a fortune at Mikey's its like a sweet shop. If only I had his knowledge.

Barny

Say by half ten to eleven o'clock, if I know he's coming I can wait a little.

Could he come down tonight and drop it off? I’m only asking as an option - I haven’t actually spoken to him yet!

Could he come down tonight and drop it off? I’m only asking as an option - I haven’t actually spoken to him yet!

He could but would be dropping off in Collingham but different address, but that's no issue.

He could but would be dropping off in Collingham but different address, but that's no issue.

Ok, I’ll travel to see him shortly and ask him what he wants to do! What’s ya mobile number? Mines 07713 789365 if you wanna reply direct eh, GDPR and all of that!

One gearbox,all done!
Will be winging its way home on Monday.:D:thumb2

On behalf of Aaron (who will speak to you soon) MASSIVE thanks for helping him. As a token of my thanks I stand ready to help you if you should ever need it (I have some resources :)

Thanks so much pal

Is there a 'Like' box on here? If there is I'll tick it!

Back
Top Bottom