Fuel capacity question

Colin1958

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2009 1200GSA and today I filled it up with fuel. I'm not the sort of bloke who takes much notice, but today I noticed that I had put 34.36 litres of fuel into what I though was a 33 litre tank! Given that my range indicator still had 54 miles on it I was a bit surprised that I could put so much in.

The handbook says it has 33 litres "usable" capacity, with a 5 litre reserve - I have always assumed that the 5 litres was within the 33 - am I really riding a bike with a 38 litre tank? I've had cars with tanks smaller than that!

I had a 2010 GSA. The fuel gauge was fairly reliable but the range indication was a joke and despite many an upgrade it was never sorted, but I often put 36 litres into the 33 litre tank. I never ran out of fuel, but it must have been close.

Yes! It's a buttock clenching exercise to push I fully loaded fully fuelled GSA around on a wet steel ferry deck!

That's why you never fill it up before boarding or having to shuffle it around :D

You can also feel it a lot when riding, especially up the mountains, tight left/right...
My fuel strip has been broken for a couple of years. Joined friends for a few rides down in south of France and had to always keep the fuel tank full (just in case). That + traveling with panniers... and me on top... makes for a very heavy thing on 2 wheels :)

I embarrassingly ran out of fuel on my 2010 adventure on the way yo fill up for a run last year. Between the 5 litre petrol can I put in then the further 33 litres at the filling station along the road it took 38 litres filled to the brim. Oh, and at the point I ran out I had done 381 miles.

So it really is a 38 litre tank - holy crepe!

35litres = 5.5 stone!!

Tell me about it.
I've had people fill their tanks to the brim at a garage not 1/4 mile away from me before dropping their bikes off for work which requires the tank removing.

Back
Top Bottom