Why is my petrol consumption increasing

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought the 1150R nearly a year ago. All servicing(multiple now) completed. No leaks, no mells. When I first got it, I got 143 miles before the light came on. Installed a john GS chip and fuel went to 138 Miles before light on (understandable)
on tour, I saw up to 165 Miles before a light came on (happy)
Lately the light comes on around 118 Miles. Same route, same traffic, same petrol pump. Can it be a stuck fuel float or something? This has been happening now for the last 3 months. Regularly. On side stand the light shows up with only 87 miles on the trip. I usually then fill up around 135 and last tank took 14 odd litres. So a bit confused how it lost 20miles..?ideas?

pikies sucking it out while your not looking...?

have you checked the tyre pressures, binding brake, rodent nest or spider web in the air box or that you are increasingly burning off boy racers in their beblinged Corsas?

tyres are fine, had a new one not so long ago. No change in route or riding style. Calipers are cool when I stop, wheel spins freely too. Unlikely nest as ridden daily. Could it be a stuck fuel float or strip, that triggers an early light?

If you zero your trip and brim the tank, you can work out your true mpg. For example trip reads 140miles at the next fill up and you put in 10litres. This works out at 10 miles per litre which is roughly 45mpg.

If you zero your trip and brim the tank, you can work out your true mpg. For example trip reads 140miles at the next fill up and you put in 10litres. This works out at 10 miles per litre which is roughly 45mpg.

Always zero the trip hence I know the difference and brim tank same way, same pump even. Mpg has dipped from 48 to 43 after chip. Now at around 36 ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of interest have you considered fueling up somewhere else and seeing what result you get?

Remove a spark plug after a ride and see what colour it is.

It's colder.

It'll get better come April.

Its been happening for a while now. Cold did occur to me but losing so many miles from a tank is a lot just from the cold. I filled up on Monday and it took 16.2 litres so it seems the gauge might be correct (I think the light comes on with 4l left) I'll do so again today and work out mpg. I believe its a 20 l tank so should therefore see

Different tyres? Have you changed tyre brand last tyre change? Personally never noticed tyres make a difference on a bike, but the wifes car has improved by at least 5mpg since fitting a set of michelins.

Tyre brand remains the same. I did get more MPG on my GS when I changed from Conti to Pirelli so know that can play into it.
I filled up with 13 odd litres on Friday and did the calculations. Seems for 13 l I am getting 134 miles, or 44 mpg. Not too far off what I got after swapping to a john Gemi chip. So it leads me to think that the petrol light is coming on earlier than usual (and there is probably more left in the tank than the reserve of 4 litres) and its not a case of lower MPG, just one of the light acting as a warning too early...Acid test would be to ride until dry and see what mileage I get...one for a weekend in the sun

Back
Top Bottom