R1200R LC LED headlight bulbs?

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone tried any and find they work well?

I know the bulbs are both H7, but I've not taken the headlight apart to check space/clearances as yet.

Recent evening commutes have convinced me that the standard light 7 bulbs could do better.

Are you not just riding across town!.

If I'm just crossing town I'm on the BMW Cruise e-bike and that is LED from the factory.

I'm now regularly further afield, and coming home, especially between the Air Balloon and the Hungry Horse when it's dark and raining and there are hundreds of very bright cars queueing the other way. Sometimes it feels I'm riding by braille.

Anyway, some with the RS have used some Cyclops LEDs https://www.r1200rsforum.com/t1297f7-LED-headlamps-installed.html .

I'll have a look.

As ever, the heatsink is the problem as you need to modify dustcaps. I have no idea if the back of your lamp is different to the RS version.

I've gone LED on both the Bonneville and the R80 with lovely H4 bulbs where the cooling is bulb side of the housing rather than connector side and that works well. The beam pattern is excellent with them too, so I'm not blinding other drivers line I was when I tried HID.

I'll have to take the light apart at the weekend to have a look as the spacing etc.

Having looked, the space and connectivity is tricky and I don't fancy messing with the canbus.

Simply changing the W5W number plate bulb for a LED one led to a canbus error so I've decided to leave well alone!

I hadn't considered having to carry spare bulbs again after 5 years on all LED GSs... :blast

I have to say that's a large part of the appeal.

Whilst the LEDs have a stated lifetime of 100,000 hours or so, I suspect the weak link in my after market H4 bulbs will be the cooling fan.

Back
Top Bottom