Europe map seems to be loaded twice according to BaseCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, it's probably nothing to worry about but I just noticed in BaseCamp that the Europe map seems to be installed twice. Or at least they are 2 different .img file names. The device operates fine so I'm not too worried, just thought it seemed odd..... I did a Google search and couldn't find anything.

Attachments

• BaseCamp_2020-02-07_11-17-46.png
    BaseCamp_2020-02-07_11-17-46.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 474
  • BaseCamp_2020-02-07_11-18-07.png
    BaseCamp_2020-02-07_11-18-07.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 505
You probably have your satnav 'device' connected to your computer. If so, BC searches for, and sees, the maps held both on your computer and your device. So no need to worry

When you disconnect the device, you will have only one set of maps showing

You probably have your satnav 'device' connected to your computer. If so, BC searches for, and sees, the maps held both on your computer and your device. So no need to worry

When you disconnect the device, you will have only one set of maps showing

Yeah you're right, the d6210110a.img file is the only one present on the device in the Map folder, just the way BaseCamp displays it makes it look like it's on the device itself, every days a schoolday!

Thanks!

We all have to start somewhere

And, as long as you look like you have tried to research an issue, there are a lot of peeps on here who are happy to step in and help.

We all have to start somewhere

And, as long as you look like you have tried to research an issue, there are a lot of peeps on here who are happy to step in and help.

Yeah, I didn't have access to the device at the time I wrote the original post to be able to check the files, I work in IT Software Testing so it got my nerd level OCD twitching that Garmin would put the tree indicating both were on the device, but I'm just a pedantic git anyway haha

Once I went out and checked the device I could see the IMG file was only present once. All good :)

Are the two files exactly the same size and named the same ? i am only asking cos i think the Europe mapping is split in two ( nuttys Law) theres a N Europe and S Europe.

Related-ish question.

When a new map is uploaded in BC does it overwrite the current map? If No, should I be deleting all previous versions?

On the computer it does not overwrite and you have to delete old versions. You can check what is there by clicking on the maps button at the top of the screen.

On the device the updated maps should overwrite the previous ones.

Yes, on the computer the update leaves the old map in place, but does not use it unless you select it in Basecamp. There is probably some rationale for this .Tidier to remove the old map and if you are not tech then its hard to find. (On a. Mac Its in Users blah blah blah library blah blah blah) Garmin MapManager makes it easy to select and delete the old map..

If you have a Mac * and are loading the latest 2020.3 maps, hesitate before deleting the 2020.2 maps, as there is a glitch in the latest version. It's not life threatening but until Garmin sort it out, you might as well stay with 2020.2 or at least not delete it just yet.

Other than that, when Garmin maps are updated, the old versions are retained on the PC / Mac but not on the device itself. Delete them as and when you feel like it, they only take up useless space.

* There a re no reports (or at least none that I have seen) of the problem hitting PC's

when Garmin maps are updated, the old versions are retained on the PC / Mac but not on the device itself. Delete them as and when you feel like it, they only take up useless space.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom