North & South Uist

Huisnis is a fine place to base yourself if you want to tour around Harris and Lewis. !

Afraid I disagree, as nice as the road is out to there, I wouldn't want to be doing it back and forward a number of times, it would soon wear you down on the 3rd or 4th trip.

Radarman, you are in danger of overthinking this. Book your ferries to and from the islands, and your overnight Accomodation if you must (you can’t (or couldn’t) book Gatliff Trust). Then just go and ride around to your hearts content, stop when you want, look at what takes your interest when you get there. If a dead end road looks interesting go down it. It doesn’t matter if you think it was a waste of time and miles really does it?

This is the Hebrides remember: the word mañana represents far too much of a sense of urgency for these folks! As Austin say, just go!

You're probably spot on with your tips above folks. To much planning and a bit of my OCD kills all the idea to just ride and enjoy.

https://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/activities/northton-machair-and-temple-p521381

Once camped in the machair above the beach in the distance (in the link), it was all in flower, got up early one morning, walked along the beach with my young daughter and dog, watched an otter swimming behind the surf. Carried on along the headland past the ruined chapel and sat watching loads of dolphins go past, returned to the beach and found a sperm whales tooth in the rocks.
A good couple of hours.
Forget about mileage, enjoy the place, especially if the weather is kind.

I've just remembered the two naked germans who turned up later....

Quite a day.

Glad I looked at this thread, about time I went back to the isles. April/May I think I'll pop over with my XT

If you remember, go to the very end of the Hushinish road by the beech, there is a road that leads to a small jetty, there will be an old fella living in a green campervan goes by the name of Terry, has two small dogs. Go introduce yourself and have a chat, lovely old man who has been living there for a few years now. He moves around the isle but is usually parked up there, just checked his FB page and he's still there.

There’s a plot of land I’m going to have a look at in Meavaig. It’s on the same road. I’ll go and say hello. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom