North & South Uist

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve never been over there before. Done Lewis and Harris several times. :thumb2 Is it worth a week popping over in my motorhome end of April time for a week? :nenau
Is there much to see / do?
Many free places to park up overnight without upsetting the locals? :nenau
Ta.

There are places to park overnight but you will upset the locals. Motorhomes have been reaching plague proportions some years.
Can I suggest you use campsites, and buy your groceries locally.
It’s nice enough but not really much to do.
If you’ve done Harris, you’ve already seen the best.

I go over a couple of times a year, but I go for the fishing, May and October.

Its worth a trip over in the spring to see.....and hear.... the wildlife. Absolutely stunning sights and sounds. Lots of birds you wouldn't see so readily elsewhere. But apart from that, not huge amounts to see. Go down to Eriskay....ponies and Whisky Galore! Try to drive up at low tide and marvel at the acres of sands each side of Benbecula

Lots of places to stop overnight without upsetting anyone as long as you use some sense, especially on the western side on the machair, but as AA say's buy some stuff there, even if only to hear the locals chatting in Gaelic in the Co-op! If you can, go Mallaig to Lochboisdale...better views of more islands, and a cracking drive to Mallaig. If you have'nt been its worth one visit, but if the weather is crap it's hideous! If the sun is out it's great.

South Uist is possibly the dullest of all the Scottish isles I've been to and I've done a fair few, I personally wouldn't go back but as small as Eriskay is, it's lovely.

North Uist is a place I'd go back to.

Eriskay
b7cd76599e4450b7b08e6774b4e5c4a3.jpg

North Uist
648ef8f5c1e24bb1faf41e65c2d6b701.jpg

I'm planning Outer Hebrides island hopping trip in early May. I'm taking ferry from Oban to Castlebay and then riding from Vatersay up to Butt of Lewis and staying in hostels/camping. Then ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool on the way back. Giving myself 9 days for this including motorway blast from/to Southampton.

This will be my first time to Western Isles so I'm looking forward to not just ride but to see some places there.

Are there any easy gravel tracks so I can wander a little off tarmac and not upset locals too? I know there is one behind the Bridge to Nowhere on Isle of Lewis but would be grateful for any other suggestions.

I'd be very careful if I were you taking a big bike off road up there, not because you may upset the locals but you may never get it out again. It's a very barron and peaty landscape and you may need a hoist to recover your bike if you get stuck.

9 days is keen from Southampton and back, good luck, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.

btw, my photos were all taken in eary May :okay

I'd be very careful if I were you taking a big bike off road up there, not because you may upset the locals but you may never get it out again. It's a very barron and peaty landscape and you may need a hoist to recover your bike if you get stuck.

Cabby, not planning to do anything extreme. Loaded Africa Twin with my mediocre off road skills so hard packed gravel the most.

Been lots of times on the GS, Eriskey, south/nirth uist, harris and lewis, friendly people and great for getting away from it all and exploring.

Back
Top Bottom