Big service (18,000) mile cost

Sounds about right for a main dealer , think the Ducati is around the same or worse

I wouldn't have thought the 1290 is going to be that much more involved than my 1190 which cost me £480 including fluids (brake, coolant) and valve check.

BMW S1000XR require spark plugs, valve check and new fork oil at 16k miles so would imagine this would cost quite a lot, especially if any valve clearances needed altering. I've just changed the fork oil on my S1000R at 16k miles and the old oil looked like new so think it was a waste of time.

Premier quoted me "about £500, bit more if it needs shims". They and everyone I spoke to thought it unlikely to need valve adjustment at 18K.

I did it myself, and it didn't.

My 18k mile service @ Jim Aims was £620 inc VAT & labour.

This included:
> Engine oil & filters
> Brake & clutch fluid
> Air filter
> Spark plugs
> Valve check
> Reed valves
> New Shims
> There was also a significant software update which took a few hours

Plus checking everything from A-Z.

My 18k mile service @ Jim Aims was £620 inc VAT & labour.

This included:
> Engine oil & filters
> Brake & clutch fluid
> Air filter
> Spark plugs
> Valve check
> Reed valves
> New Shims
> There was also a significant software update which took a few hours

Plus checking everything from A-Z.

Just curious but, Reed Valves, what are they?

Also seeing you list shims I'm guessing they needed adjusting, what miles are you at?

Andres

Just curious but, Reed Valves, what are they?

Also seeing you list shims I'm guessing they needed adjusting, what miles are you at?

Andres

Reed valves are 1 way valves that control fuel/air mixture...

When I had the service (May 2019) my mileage was 17, 998....am now 20,500 ish

Reed valves are 1 way valves that control fuel/air mixture...

When I had the service (May 2019) my mileage was 17, 998....am now 20,500 ish

Ah ok, I obviously understnd what they are re strokers but didn't know our bikes had them?

Interesting re the valves needing doing............mine were fine at the 18k service and the guy that did the work (I wimped out!) reckoned not to even bother at 36k and to wait until 54K before looking again.

Andres

My valve clearances were spot on after 24000 miles. Must admit, the reed valve comment confused me too, although some would say it doesn't take much

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ah ok, I obviously understnd what they are re strokers but didn't know our bikes had them?

Interesting re the valves needing doing............mine were fine at the 18k service and the guy that did the work (I wimped out!) reckoned not to even bother at 36k and to wait until 54K before looking again.

Andres

It's just what the chaps told me; I've no reason to doubt them as they've been superb in servicing the bike since I started going there.

They get booked up a few months in advance so I'm working on the assumption that they have a happy & loyal customer base.

It's just what the chaps told me; I've no reason to doubt them as they've been superb in servicing the bike since I started going there.

They get booked up a few months in advance so I'm working on the assumption that they have a happy & loyal customer base.

Oh no, I'm not dissing them, I'm sure it needed doing, it's just yours is the first bike I've heard of that needed the valves adjusting at 18k...........

I'd sell it quick before it goes bang! :D ;)

Andres

Oh no, I'm not dissing them, I'm sure it needed doing, it's just yours is the first bike I've heard of that needed the valves adjusting at 18k...........

I'd sell it quick before it goes bang! :D ;)

Andres

Well it survived the rest of 2019 superbly, so I see no reason why 2020 will be any different.

2022 will be when I have think about changing it :D

The reed valves are part of the SAS system and sit under those oblong covers with the hose spigots on the side of the heads.

They are supposed to be changed at 18K IIRC, but I admit I didn't bother.

IIRC my 18k service on the 1190 was just over £600, but I also had the fuel filters swapped out while they were there, they cost £80 for the kit and probably added half an hours labour.

None of my tappetts needed adjustment - which I believe can add another hour or so if it needs doing.

Back
Top Bottom