Irish Photo Rally 2020

Hi all,

It has come to our attention that a local resident, living near the Cavan/Monaghan point "Old School House, Drumlusty" is extremely unhappy about the number of bikers stopping to take photographs of the old school house. He approached a number of participants over the weekend to express his displeasure. We recommend that any participants visiting the point should take their photo of the schoolhouse from a distance to avoid escalating the problem. If anyone would prefer to avoid visiting the point altogether, we will also accept a photo of the nearby forge at 53.97515, -6.64055.

Regards,

Irish Photo Rally crew

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know and I put the two points on the Mapsource for ref.

Bin

Attachments

• PHoto Rally 5A - Alternative.JPG
    PHoto Rally 5A - Alternative.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 314
So the weathers lovely so I decided a nice small spin to start the year. 4 photorally points and one IBA. So on Sunday I put the Optimate on and gave the bike the once over.
Down the shed this morning and she starts first time without any choke. Looking good. I leave her warming up while I get my gear on.
This is the first time out since I got external insulation over the winter so I'm ready for the tight spots. First drainpipe is a bit tight but OK. Then I notice that the new window ledges are at mirror height. Bothersome but liveable with. Next is the big downpipe that I was worried about. Not really a problem. A bit of left and right shimmy and I'm past it. Next is the gate. I didn't think that this was going to be a problem but the engine bars wedged solid between the uprights.
There's not enough room to leave it standing there. I have to walk it backwards to the back garden. I end up having to pull Cormac away from his PS4 to help me negotiate the down pipe.
I get out my jigsaw and cut a "ventilation" hole in the gate at the appropriate height. Back to the bike and away again. I get to the gate and make a mental note that I'll have to make the gap a bit bigger. I'm on the home straight until...... a drain pipe which never gave any bother is now in the way of the engine bars. This time there is a solid wall that I can lean the bike against while I go back to the shed for the hacksaw to cut the drain pipe with. I'll fix up a repair that I can take on and off as needed later.
Back on the bike and start the engine. Rather try to start the engine. Nothing. All the stop/start has drained the battery again. So I walk it to the front garden and rig up the Optimate again. She needed petrol anyway so while she's charging I drive down in the cage and get her a gallon.
All's ready when I get back and I set off. I decided to stop off in Dunshaughlin to fill up fully so that I don't have to fill again for the day. But she won't start again. Not even a splutter.
I managed to get her started again thanks to a push from two lads. I decided to head for home as I don't fancy being stuck at remote rally points with no way of starting.
When I get home I find out that to get back through the side entrance I have to start with the bike lined up straight rather than the angle that I used to use. So I try move the wheelie bins while staying sitting on the bike as I don't want the engine to cut out if I put down the stand. I eventually manage it and go inside for a well earned cup of tea.
And that my friends is why there is no photos to accompany this post.
I thought that I would have to replace the battery last year but there will be no getting away from it this year. On a positive note the roads were lovely and empty. Oh why can't we have a combination of bank holidays and viruses every day.

Very entertaining and I am glad nothing worse happened you or the bike!
I think you have given a very good example of a) how an Optimate can hide a battery on the way out and b) why you need to fit a new battery as soon as it starts to show weakness!

Must be catching
Put mine on the Optimate over the weekend but would not charge

Left it trying for a few hours on both programmes
No good

Tried to start it and not a kick
Had been slightly slow to start in recent times but looked to be charging ok

New battery needed

Must be catching
Put mine on the Optimate over the weekend but would not charge

Left it trying for a few hours on both programmes
No good

Tried to start it and not a kick
Had been slightly slow to start in recent times but looked to be charging ok

New honda needed

:aidan

frodi - gonna need a bigger gate :D

I first read Bin's post about your entertaining post so.....

...... while I get my gear on.
This is the first time out since I got external insulation over the winter so I'm ready for the tight spots.

I thought most of the insulation may have been self applied through the mouth, primarily over the Christmas period, as commonly happens. :D

First drainpipe is a bit tight but OK.
......leg????

Next is the big downpipe that I was worried about. Not really a problem. A bit of left and right shimmy and I'm past it.

This had me a bit confused, obviously! :confused::nenau

Luke Gibbon's grandson...

When I was taking the photo at "Luke Gibbons" a man nearby asked me why I was doing so - I explained about the motorcycle rally with 24 points in the different counties etc.
He said he had been very puzzled about the number of bikers who were stopping there.
He was born there, his grandfather was Luke Gibbons and he himself had sold it on in 2004 - a good time to sell it!

He said his mother was a Gibbons and so his surname is not Gibbons. In all the keeping our distance, I forgot to ask him his name.

Another thread in life's rich tapestry!

Attachments

• Luke Gibbons.jpg
    Luke Gibbons.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 242
nice one bin

been costello fair few times

never papped the bike at it tho

must stop in the landmark one day :D

did ya try and buy his tractor as its quicker than the katoom :p

Folks is it really wise to be heading out on bikes in this situation??

You are exposing yourselves to risk and at the possibility of some feckwit paying even less attention than usual because roads are quiet, hitting you or pulling out in front of you and you needing hospital attention

I've just spent 6 days with the range of symptoms (but not confirmed) and if it is it?? I got it mild but by F*** was I scared on Wednesday night when I started to feel it bubbling in my chest, I couldn;t even say to my wife in case she panicked and placed herself at risk!

PLEASE Just ask yourselves, Do I NEED to make this journey?

There's a lovely wee "thing" going about the internet, saying to think of the virus as Glitter

Someone sneezes and has glitter on their hand and hands X money and X sorts out change and hands it back

Then X does this and that and all the time everything that X touches is now covered in Glitter

If they had used the word Schite or Sewage instead of Glitter folks might think it a bit more serious??

Your Call?

Keep Safe everyone!!!

@Frodi.... You will eventually get a damp patch and mould on the inside of that wall where the down pipe is dispensing the water against it. Saw the same thing happen to a neighbour, just sayin...

Back
Top Bottom