Irish Photo Rally 2020

we aaaaaare sailin' we arrrrrreeeeeee saaaaaaaaaaaaailin'..........

cross the sea........

enough of that

78OGcZL.jpg

:D

after planning to pop over at easter :rolleyes: date kept being pushed and pushed and got shifted when the welsh decided they couldnt let anyone even themselves move about their own country so rebooked the ferry for belfast seeing as you could head into the south no bother (as cta citizen it didnt matter but someone might be up on their regs if met)

after a squeaky moment following a truck outta the port and wondering if we'd (me and another bike) be asked why where etc

no problem and onward

oh and it rained :( not enuff to be drownded but enough to be annoying

8OvKmP0.jpg

F7cN5Td.jpg

IygPre9.jpg

(c) artee fartee
most easterly point in ireland (yes new shitta :D )

no brekky at maccys on monday so no glengormley or ballymena as breakfast didnt restart till yesterday

so head for

TyfItyd.jpg

marconi ballycastle

o9CWJbC.jpg

acEah7Z.jpg

l1GiK4I.jpg

H5ayHbd.jpg

old station barmouth road

W9efhUo.jpg

so because the ferry got in late - supposed to land 0630 - first tannoy said 0700 and it took 20 mins to get off - planned to get to magilligan for 0915 for first boat but was at derry point for just after 11 so wouldnt have made it for 1115 and as it was windy - even tho the website said the ferry was working i decided to head south to fermanagh

SYLknHL.jpg

oh errr i...... :D

google sends you via the N15 - but i know better than that - derry strabane castlederg ballinamallard skillen knockmore

6UL2YCC.jpg

mammy said this was the wrong one :D

4ivity4.jpg

g7zHFRm.jpg

its 6 miles even from the small road but its a good quailty boreen apart from the last half click

rossinver ns

so by it nearly being 3 by then i decided to skip sligo and mayo and head for leitrim - already had been a long day and id stopped twice

dtnqhKA.jpg

lough allen somewhere

tXMFIKy.jpg

costello leitrim

the main st is shut - paddy is puttin a pipe in :) there was a fella moving a digger and i asked him how long for and he said he didnt know as theres two lots going on he was on the other one run by someone else :D

if you come into carrick from the north (drumshanbo direction) in as normal then at teh junction next to the motor factors turn left instead of right follow it round to the roundabout then turn right and follow it back in with the marina on the left you come to the landmark and another roundabout turn right and floow that down and you come to the post office which is where i parked the bike - do not try and park the bike on the pavement outside the church as i know its not even two people wide from previous visits and youll blokc the road if the roadworks are gone by then - park at the oifig :)

acxfeXd.jpg

czeC7Xq.jpg

gibbon roscommon - tim - Y U pick this?

the grandparents house is built the same way - is it ancient like below?

93VXsKg.jpg

EUlDy0g.jpg

8wkLUOt.jpg

went to the passportless wans abode to drop the bag for more parts from brokrn bmws :D :aidan

went for takeout :D (thanks joch) then in slight case of FEK IM AULD AND I CANT HACK IT

i swapped the hotel in dubh for a place in athy as i needed to get off the bike :D

the dubh place happened the next night and they didnt charge me (SHOCK) for swapping the date with about 10 mins notice

6EGKGid.jpg

bombsite :D moate lodge athy - raymond font of knowledge they do self catering cottages also - raymond huge fan of ww1 and 2 and has huge library devoted to it

out the next morning and

RgXawu2.jpg

thatched pub laois (a squeak from kildare)

GMLVYj8.jpg

nKCDA8H.jpg

xLK4Tx3.jpg

melkaur bridge tipp - 0.3 secs after i tool that photo what did i meet?? :D

40 foot wagon :O

down to cashel from there then across to

WPrBp9R.jpg

the same bridge as tipp :nenau (not really) skeheen waterford

WtVQERI.jpg

QZvPfZC.jpg

millau france :D (oh wait) longest bridge in eire

Og1y6Vq.jpg

LAW. last time i posted a pic of those someone said they sacked off brunches

went in a lot of shops either to look for a magazine (fail) or for petrol and didnt see any? did buy some kimberleys to bring home tho :D

qMi1ksh.jpg

QAmHPBg.jpg

eI3BHch.jpg

bellevue church

in the hotel at the airport (DID NOT want to stay in dub) also it was a bargain as they were doing an offer in feb when i booked it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcYQvIhcLg

i remember her - im def NOT as old as gerry :D

thats 12 - wanted to do 18 but

looking to do sligo mayo the ones near dub in a fortnight but the sligo one from dub is 3 hours of zzzzzzzz

dont think i wanna do that - two ruins and a bridge (again )

thanks to the tadhg o cabbage bloke and helpers for your efforts and for making me do the road from strabane and the 503 thru tipp again (itd been a while)

entry entried - only 12 - is cos i old ?? :)

further to above have boat booked for end of july but cos of quarantine (fk that)

changed it to end of august

cant now cancel the boat only move the date - gonna pop over but just for a spin round wicklaa - theres only 3 local ones not enough for posher badge :D

might find some fish for eats if people are up for da'?

So.........

Burr point again

Bridge at trim and trim castle

This parked while we were farting about at lunch

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_110623.jpg
    IMG_20200829_110623.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20200829_165248.jpg
    IMG_20200829_165248.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20200829_165253.jpg
    IMG_20200829_165253.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20200829_141412.jpg
    IMG_20200829_141412.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 384
400 miles and only one point. I haven't had the bike out in weeks (damm families getting in the way of biking!) but the weather gods looked favourable for todayso it was time to get the most awkward from my POV. The old N6 as far as Ballinasloe and then I let my geriatric sat nav take me to Athenry. It started with 3km of grass in the middle boreen and I began to wonder what have I let myself in for. But then it came out on a R road (have to check later which one) and I had over 20km of great riding.
Then it was the M6 to Galway. The N59 to Clifden. It would have been marvelous if it wasn't for the amount of traffic. I saw loads of BMW bike coming the other way and you could see them all grinning thtough their lids. I get to the Galway point just over 4.5 hours after leaving home and take me shot.
Then it was back to Clifden and on the N59 to Leenan stopping off in Kylemore Abbey for lunch. 🍵🍰☕
On to Leenan and then I turned across to Cor Na Mona and Cong. It was not looking good to begin as I was stuck behind a queue of 6 cars going at 50kph and a continuous white line. However you could see through the bends and after a couple of "spirited" overtakes I was away and had a glourous piece of road to myself for over 20km.
At Cong I needed petrol and I realised that it was getting late. So I set the Sat Nav for home and it took me to the outskirts of Galway and then the Motorway home.
So, 10 hours, 400miles, only 2 light showers, several appearences of a big yellow thing in the sky and a nice lunch. All for one photo point. Ah you can't have everything I suppose.

Attachments

• 24 Galway sml.jpg
    24 Galway sml.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 330
And that's a wrap for me, all points complete and finished with this

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 306
can i ask that tadhg bloke or indeed the gerry meister

2012 entrant youtube vid - can you tell me what the music is please

i was looking for the closing date (next week) and started watching the videos (damn you bad back)

fanks yall

Hi all,

There's one week left to the deadline of Irish Photo Rally 2020. Normally, at this time of the year, I would be encouraging people to get out on their bikes and get those last one or two points before submitting their entry. However, the travel restrictions in place due to COVID-19 mean that we all have to accept that whatever points we have by now is all we're going to get.

Over the last few weeks, we've been asked for various forms of extensions, exemptions and exceptions. We know that 2020 has been a pretty miserable year for everyone and we did consider making some gesture of goodwill in this regard. However, quite a large number of people have visited all 24 points, or made an effort to get enough points for their bronze or silver badge and we feel it would be unfair to those participants if we made any kind of extension to the deadline.

Whatever number of points you've visited, don't forget to submit your entry before the deadline at midnight next Wednesday, the 4th of November. Don't leave it to the last minute as the server may be busy. If you wish to submit a paper album, now would be a good time to post it but don't forget that you must submit an online entry first. If you have already submitted your entry, please check that you received a confirmation email. If you haven't received a confirmation email, then your entry most likely didn't save correctly on the system.

Stay safe and take care,
Irish Photo Rally crew

Many thanks to all the organisers. All I can say is what the hell were you looking for when you found some of those points? I'm thinking of those with "bridge" in their name. :censor:

Hi all,

It’s that time of year again, when the Irish Photo Rally crew are working hard to wrap up one year’s event and busy preparing for the next. This was a year that none of us will forget. In the early days of the pandemic, some people suggested that we should cancel Irish Photo Rally 2020, but we persevered. As the summer drew on, we could see on social media that people were getting out to photo points as much as the travel restrictions allowed. Here at Irish Photo Rally headquarters, we accepted that the number of participants would be significantly lower than normal this year. To our great surprise and delight, not only was there no significant drop in numbers, we actually had another record-breaking number of participants in 2020. We had 309 entries with a total of 323 participants, including pillions - up from 302 and 321 in 2019. Eighty seven of this year's participants were newcomers.

We will be having an awards presentation in February but it will be online, rather than in a physical venue. We held off as long as possible before making this decision, hoping that the situation would improve enough for us to continue with our usual awards night. However, in the interest of everyone's safety, we decided that it would be more honor'd in the breach than the observance. The awards presentation will be on the evening of the 6th of February 2021 and the details will be announced closer to the time.

Looking to the future, we have already started to put together a list of points for 2021. This list will be released after the awards presentation on the 6th of February. With luck, all of us will be able to get out more on our bikes in 2021. We have provisionally booked a venue for the awards presentation in 2022. Hopefully, by then life will have returned to what we call normal, and we will be able to host our awards night in the usual format.

We're looking forward to seeing you all online in February. In the meantime, stay safe and take care.

Irish Photo Rally crew

What the 'ell are we going to do in February now :nenau
The 'do' was always a great excuse to get out & see people...

Shit, now I'll have to spend the weekend at home with the missus.

Back
Top Bottom