Mac and Garmin BaseCamp

Wapping

Reaction score
Having worked hugely reliably for years, BaseCamp on my Mac has taken up crashing.

It started being a bit flakey all of a sudden. It defaulted to its base maps and for some unknown reason suddenly defaulted to a split screen view of the 2d and 3d maps simultaneously. I think I have cured the 2D / 3D map problem by restoring the preference settings. The defaulting to the base map on restart after a crash I can't cure.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thank you.

Richard

Having worked hugely reliably for years, BaseCamp on my Mac has taken up crashing.

It started being a bit flakey all of a sudden. It defaulted to its base maps and for some unknown reason suddenly defaulted to a split screen view of the 2d and 3d maps simultaneously. I think I have cured the 2D / 3D map problem by restoring the preference settings. The defaulting to the base map on restart after a crash I can't cure.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thank you.

Richard

Trash the preference file?

I had the strange split screen issue a short while ago, but cannot remember what I did to cure it.

Re the crashes and Global Maps issue, I have not had that problem. But, just a thought, if you get the right maps ticked etc, if you run a 'Backup', that might just reset the defaults

Thank you, Paul.

I deleted BaseCamp and re-installed it from the Garmin website. The installation is apparently fine, the app appearing in my Mac’s Launchpad. It will not though launch at all. All I get are repeated messages that BaseCamp was shut down within a split second of being started.

Hey-ho, back to my laptop.

Thank you, Paul.

I deleted BaseCamp and re-installed it from the Garmin website. The installation is apparently fine, the app appearing in my Mac’s Launchpad. It will not though launch at all. All I get are repeated messages that BaseCamp was shut down within a split second of being started.

When I was having my 'straight-lining' issue, I deleted Bc and all associated files, then reloaded from the Garmin website. Might be worth doing the 'complete' uninstall.

Garmin instructions are:

To uninstall from Mac OS X
Open Macintosh HD
Click the Applications folder
Click and drag Garmin BaseCamp.app to the Trash
Locate Library - steps vary base on your Mac OS
Mac OS 10.7 and newer:
Click Go menu at the top of the Mac
Press and hold Options key
Click Library
Mac OS older than 10.7:
Click Go menu at the top of the Mac
Click Home
Click Library
Click the Preferences folder
Click and drag com.garmin.BaseCamp.plist to the Trash
Navigate back to the Library folder
Click the Application Support folder
Click the Garmin folder
Click and drag the BaseCamp folder to the Trash
Empty the Trash
Garmin BaseCamp should now be removed from the computer.

Straight lining issue you say.

On such a crappy day for weather I was up for a bit of Garmin admin and pulled in tracks from a recent ride. I joined them and created a route. BLOODY HELL, there are straight lines on that as well as the actual route taken. Garmin really does have to give itself a good flagellation.

Thank you, Paul.

Install from App Store you get 64bit version

Thank you everyone.

I’ll have a go at following Paul’s instructions and downloading the app from the app strobe, rather than Garmin’s website.

Install from App Store you get 64bit version

So the one from the Garmin website, which is the same version number (4.8.7) is NOT 64 bit?

And, I also notice that, whilst BC is available on the Apple App store, Garmin Express is not. Strange

I wondered myself why the Garmin official app download might not be entirely up to date.

Anything less than 64 bit won’t run on the latest Mac software. Or so I’m told. As I have no idea what 64 bit means, I am just happy that something works... which it did right up until about 16:30 yesterday when the split screen nonsense started, followed by loads of BaseCamp crashes..... all for no good reason why, that I could fathom.

I am half tempted to back up everything and take the whole Mac back to factory settings (wiping it) and go from there. I only really use it and its big screen for Garmin stuff anyway.

I haven’t updated Basecamp (MAC) or maps for years as there always seem to be problems with updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wapping: do you have a single Mac (with Basecamp) or more than one?

As I have no idea what 64 bit means

Memory address.
It has to do with the CPU/Operating System.

See it this way: 32bit old school, going to be phased out. 64bit, the way forward.

It seems Garmin royally fucked up their latest software updates: maps and others.
Do you use TimeMachine by any chance? In that case I'd suggest to reinstate the older version of BaseCamp from the TimeMachine backup.

I wondered myself why the Garmin official app download might not be entirely up to date.

No. The App store version and the one Garmin lets you download from the site are different.

All I get are repeated messages that BaseCamp was shut down within a split second of being started.

If you have a different user on that computer, can you log as the other user and try to launch the app?
Or - easier - log in as guest (you should have the option on the login screen) and try to launch the app.

I think BaseCamp itself is fine.

Somehow my Mac lost its ability to work with it. If I understood one thing about computers I could probably mend it but if it doesn’t work (which it has done really well for years) I leave it well alone.

When weird stuff starts going on with a Mac its best to start afresh with a new install of the lot. My 2012 MacBook Pro was a new beast afterwards. Not hard to do and usual warnings before doing this ....

When weird stuff starts going on with a Mac its best to start afresh with a new install of the lot

I respectfully disagree. :)
I've been using Mac since the late 80ies (when I was a kid) and started working using Macs about 20 years ago now.
Use them daily, mess them up here and there, might have slightly more complex configurations than the average users on some machines...

I did the full format/reinstall or clean OS install probably 3 or 4 times in my life (and most of them on Classic MacOS versions on 68k/PPC Macs). And that was normally over catastrophic failures, like broken hardware.

I respectfully disagree. :)
I respect that you may be correct, but I do not have abilities with terminal to write corrective unix code lines. So in my amateur life, with data stored online, I would format the drive, reinstall MacOS, reload apps and back to being perfect again .

Makes sense.
I'm not that expert too (I'm not a developer or IT person).

But in general, the nice/easy thing with OSX/Unix systems, is that before the "reinstall" step – you can try creating a new user and checking if the computer behaves normally there.
Most fuck-ups are user-related, not system wide :)

Back
Top Bottom