Anyone using a Lithium battery?

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking my original battery is getting a bit tired, coming up to five years old now so done well and would rather change it before it gives up completely. With lithium technology moving forward all the time has anyone took the plunge and switched to Li'on, if so which one have you gone for?

I had one as standard on my Africa Twin. Just a tip that if you do swap it over for Lithium you will need a Lithium trickle charger unit if you keep the bike on charge.
A "normal" charger will knacker the battery (as mine did :blast)

I had one on my Yammy MT-10 and it worked a treat. Started on the dot every time. Apparently they can need a little preignition warming first, especially in the cold but never a problem for me and never had to trickle charge it. As far as I'm aware, they don't need to be.

I had one on 800 gsa.

Staggered how light it was.

There’s a good you tube video on starting when it appears to be flat.

A few cranks to warm it up etc.

I’d go for it, caveat the trickle thing, if you already have an expensive optimate maybe be cost effective to stay old school

After reading about several factory battery failures, I splurged on an Earth X ETX36C for my '18 GS1200 last year. I noticed that the bike ticked over a tad faster with the new battery, and I could play around with the ignition on, but the bike not running, a lot longer before getting the low voltage error message.

I normally keep our bikes on battery tenders over the winter months, but this year we moved over Christmas, so I haven't been able to set them up yet, and I may not, since they are now stored in a heated (40 degree) garage. I suspect the new battery will hold its charge just fine. I'm more worried about my wife's bike. Next winter they'll go back on the tenders.

Yep, I use them on all my bikes including the GS. Shido.

Earth recommend an ETX24C which is less eye wateringly expensive as the ETX36C. Did you over specify the battery or is the 36 the right one to go for. They sound fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got one on my 1200 TC. 2 years now. Works a treat. Gives a big kick on start up. Had no issues in the cold - though it hasn't really been that cold the last two winters.

Weight difference from the OEM battery is amazing.

I opted for an 'Aliant'. Not cheap. So I am continually interested to see how it performs over time. They make great claims for their batteries...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have my GSA on the drive these days and I get a biketrac alert for low battery 1-2 times per month. If I upgraded to lithium would I still need to charge it just not so much?

Just removed the one on my F650GS (800cc twin).
Very slow cranking when cold (i.e. around 0 degrees c)
Having said that, i don't know how long it had been installed.
It was small and light though.
Gone back to standard with a normal Exide YTX14-BS from Tayna.

My mate and I each have a R1200GSA 2017. The batteries now need to be on battery tenders all the time. Each time we’ve forgotten and left the bikes off.the tender for a few days, the bike won’t start.

I bought 2 Lithium batteries from Motorworks. What fantastic service! They rang to check I actually wanted 2 and dispatched overnight.

www.motorworks.co.uk

When the boxes arrived, I thought they were empty. Instead of 4.9Kg, they were 830gms! All the time I was fitting them, I thought they couldn’t possibly work. They do! I’ve put the Ctek pigtail with the charge indicator and they are consistently at the high point. I’ve checked the voltage when starting, running and from time to time in the garage, all seems well.

I ordered an ELA05655 battery. It was a JMT lithium HJTX14H-FP-SI. JMT is a German company so the battery meets the German safety specifications. LiFePO4 (Lithium Phosphate), is described as “less cell density than Lithium Ion which makes them less volatile, safer to use and almost a direct replacement for AGM packs”.

The battery is so small, there are some spaces supplied to raise the battery to the correct height. It is a direct replacement for the standard battery. I would have NO hesitation in recommending both this specific battery AND Motorworks.

My mate and I each have a R1200GSA 2017. The batteries now need to be on battery tenders all the time. Each time we’ve forgotten and left the bikes off.the tender for a few days, the bike won’t start.

I bought 2 Lithium batteries from Motorworks. What fantastic service! They rang to check I actually wanted 2 and dispatched overnight.

www.motorworks.co.uk

When the boxes arrived, I thought they were empty. Instead of 4.9Kg, they were 830gms! All the time I was fitting them, I thought they couldn’t possibly work. They do! I’ve put the Ctek pigtail with the charge indicator and they are consistently at the high point. I’ve checked the voltage when starting, running and from time to time in the garage, all seems well.

I ordered an ELA05655 battery. It was a JMT lithium HJTX14H-FP-SI. JMT is a German company so the battery meets the German safety specifications. LiFePO4 (Lithium Phosphate), is described as “less cell density than Lithium Ion which makes them less volatile, safer to use and almost a direct replacement for AGM packs”.

The battery is so small, there are some spaces supplied to raise the battery to the correct height. It is a direct replacement for the standard battery. I would have NO hesitation in recommending both this specific battery AND Motorworks.
Hi, Thinking of replacing standard battery with Lithium. How are these holding up? any concerns or all good? Thanks.

Cor , that’s quite a weight saving and also a comparable price. Also 240CCA .
I wish I’d chosen one of these now , instead of sticking with tradition .

UPDATE:
The lithium batteries really hold their charge. A problem is when the temp gets to 12C, it’s a faff to start.
Even in the summer, I have to turn on the ignition, wheel the bike out, put on my gloves and wait for at least 30 seconds before I try to start. The battery needs to have some charge taken out of it to warm up ready for cranking the bike. I check the voltage and it rises from 12.5v to about 12.8v, then it will start.

If it doesn’t start, then the ignition off and start again. It has always started, but it has caused some concern on group trips. I swap back to the standards battery when the temp is consistently below 12C. They’re used on snow mobiles, so I’m sure it will work, but it becomes more tricky in the winter.

UPDATE:
The lithium batteries really hold their charge. A problem is when the temp gets to 12C, it’s a faff to start.
Even in the summer, I have to turn on the ignition, wheel the bike out, put on my gloves and wait for at least 30 seconds before I try to start. The battery needs to have some charge taken out of it to warm up ready for cranking the bike. I check the voltage and it rises from 12.5v to about 12.8v, then it will start.

If it doesn’t start, then the ignition off and start again. It has always started, but it has caused some concern on group trips. I swap back to the standards battery when the temp is consistently below 12C. They’re used on snow mobiles, so I’m sure it will work, but it becomes more tricky in the winter.

The manual for my Ducati says that in low temperatures, turning the ignition on and running the headlights for a short period of time is enough to warm the battery if you find it's not quite got the power to start the bike. I doubt that it's really that significant of an issue because they're used on things like snow buggies, as you've said, as well as cars that are expected to start in lower temperatures.

Personally I'd stick with a decent AGM ( Glass matt) battery. The weight saving on a 240Kg+ bike is neither here nor there. I've always found them long lived (5 yrs plus) and never any issues with cold cranking plus doing my bit to ensure one less person dies mining and processing toxic lithium . I think we've become over reliant in Li-Ion Batteries and at an accelerated environmental and human cost which many people conveniently forget. Varta do a good range. Been using them for years on my bikes and no complaints.

I have a Noco NLP battery ( I think its the 14) on The 1200 TC

I purchased it with a Genius 2 charger via Prime black Friday

Think it was about £129 for the pair ... its tiny and light , but throws the TC over as well as my 3 year old Motobatt

So far so good ... Autumn & winter are approaching ... lets see how it does in the cold ....

Back
Top Bottom