Where does tha put thee oil ??

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know the 1200’s have a handy spot in the fairing to hide top up oil. Been trying to find somewhere suitable on the 1150. Anyone got any better ideas than in a pannier ?

In de oil tanc

I no it dose knot meat uropeen regulatins, bot I put my yoused oil in de zentral heatong tenk alung wd de parrefan.

Leave it at home in the garage/shed.
Mine only took half litre/thou as the handbook says and so there is no reason to think you are any different.
Unless of course you are planning a round the world effort which requires you to carry the full 25k allowance of 12 litres, arriving home with a need to top up.

Suppose I asked for that ;)

Yep, sorry for the slightly useless response!

I carried mine outside the bike to avoid mess, but as has been noted, never had to top up a drop (oilhead) and never had the stone-through-the-crankcase moment requiring metal putty and oil. I think I took the same oil to the Sahara and back twice... :blast

So I can't help re carrying it within the bodywork - £4 of aluminium strip from homebase, a few rivets and some velcro sorted me out.

Attachments

• IMG_3633 (002).JPG
    IMG_3633 (002).JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 378
I’m just trying to think when have I needed to carry a bottle of oil on my bike in 40 years of riding. And that includes a few 4500 mile rides to Morocco and back in 8 days. If I needed a top up I’d have bought a small bottle in the same garage when I filled up with petrol. :D

I’m just trying to think when have I needed to carry a bottle of oil on my bike in 40 years of riding. And that includes a few 4500 mile rides to Morocco and back in 8 days. If I needed a top up I’d have bought a small bottle in the same garage when I filled up with petrol. :D

Similar:
On my last trip to Morocco, I did not even look at oil level whilst on the trip. In fact, I did not look at it at all for the rest of the year. Similarly on the last two year's trips. Just changed it at the end of riding season and there was plenty in the drain tray.

Surely if you’re to expect to use half a litre/thou miles, trips of two thousand miles + would mean a top up would be needed ??? Only 3.75l goes in at oil change time :nenau

Surely if you’re to expect to use half a litre/thou miles, trips of two thousand miles + would mean a top up would be needed ??? Only 3.75l goes in at oil change time :nenau
Sump holds circa 4 Litres.
Unless you wheelie, the oil on a motorcycle always sits near enough flat in the bottom of the sump even on the hardest cornering.
You are being obsessive.
I have no desire to check this, but I would be certain that the oil light will stay out with less than a litre of oil in the sump.
Anyway, garages have so much oil, they are selling it.
There were 20 bikes in our gorup in Morocco. Not one rider checked his oil level during the trip.

Expected and the real world are entirely different animals. If you can see oil in the sight glass then no need to worry.

On our last jolly to Italy a KTM 690 used 1.25 litres before the oil light started flickering. Probably done 1500 miles by that point.
Not sure how much the sump takes but we were amazed at how much it had used and how low it got before the light came on.
The other 3 bikes didn't use any

On our last jolly to Italy a KTM 690 used 1.25 litres before the oil light started flickering. Probably done 1500 miles by that point.
Not sure how much the sump takes but we were amazed at how much it had used and how low it got before the light came on.
The other 3 bikes didn't use any

Back
Top Bottom