Fuggin' b@stard s@dding pinlock driving me nuts......

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had one steaming up. Tried adjusting. Eventually took it to a dealer to adjust. Still steaming up

Tried another. Same issue. Dealer adjusted and still steaming up.

Thought this may because although it hadn't been used, it was a couple of years old, so bought another. Fitted my dealer. Steamed up

Now I know most people seem happy with these but for me they just don't work.

Is there an alternative?

(Arai Quantum helmet btw)

At the risk of sounding patronising

Are you sure it isnt your glasses steaming rather than the pinlock

There is a solution if it is the pinlock for Arai

Have a look at race visors .com and check out the race spec visors that are a double glazed affair so will not steam

don't wear glasses!

i can't find the race spec visors? had a good look at the website

Is this steaming up between the layers, or just the inside if the pinlock visor?

If it is between, then I would say is there a gap between the inner and outer, the pinlock visor works because there is a tight seal between the two, with dry air in the void. Water getting in between the two, or moist air and it will steam up. If the dealer has fitted this and you are still getting the problem, I'm wondering if you are getting this on the inside of the visor where your breath is steaming it up. I have a theory that the visor needs to be closed so you can warm up the air in the pinlock air gap, that will mean the cold outer surface doesn't make the very inside cold enough for the breath to condense on. If you ride with your visor open the inside face will be cold, breath will condense on that, and I think any anti mist properties will the extra help.

Perhaps more info.

Respro Foggy mask has worked well for me in the past.

pol_pl_respro-foggy-mask-black-6236_2.jpg

it's between the pinlock and the visor

i think i'm going to go with raleri stick in ones!

I used to use the self adhesive FogCity ones, they always worked well but you had to be carful applying them.
Having said that I now use pin locks in various makes of lid and have never had a problem?

Andres

If it's steaming up between visor and pinlock, it's a fitting issue. I'm assuming the dealer knows what they are doing?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

They're great when they work .. !

You understand the cams on the two little screws to adjust the 'pinch' on the pinlock? Spread the visor out with hand and forearm on a tea towel on the kitchen work surface and adjust the cams so that they both point inwards .. :thumb2

(As an aside ... I taught Mark Blundell to pass his bike test aver 25 years ago. Even then ... so 25 years ago .. he had a visor from one of his race lids that was one piece plastic but had a moulded air gap inside it. Why on earth can't they do that today on a motorcycle visor today .. ??)

Worth considering - I saw one guy's Pinlock insert had been inserted back-to-front/inside-out... the rubber lip was facing backward - inside the helmet, toward the rider's face, rather than up against the inside of the main visor. This meant there was no air gap to manage the different (inside/outside) air temperatures...

I've been amazed by how effective the Pinlock inserts have been in both my Scorpion ADX-1s. I generally breathe long slow deep breaths, usually through my nose. This might allow my exhaled breath to exit the helmet at a rate that minimises the fogging...

I regularly see guys panting heavily, seemingly unaware that that's making things harder for the Pinlock insert...

Yeah .... wearing yer bike lid during Sex is always a bad look ...... :D

I had a pinlock on my Neotec for 4 years and never could get it to work but wasn't that bothered
I decided just before Christmas I'd like to try again so went to the local dealer and got a new one fitted. It was no better so I went back twice and he adjusted it twice bit it still didn't work. In the end he told me it was because I ride in cold and rainy weather. I've tried adjusting it myself and it's a bit better but still far from perfect.

Another trick is a carefully applied piece of sellotape top and bottom to keep it sealed ...

My pin lock is mostly fine, but I do get some occasional fogging right at the bottom, about a cm high. I might try the sellotape trick, as I can’t be arsed to take it all apart again.

They dont seem to have any left at race visors but there are some here but you need to check if they fit the Quanum
https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/gb/Arai-I-Type-Factory-Race-Visor/m-m-22910.aspx

My old (7 years ago?) Bell full face had the best visor I have ever had on a bike helmet. It was really thick and the marketing blurb reckoned it was coated both sides with rain dispersent and anti fog.

Well feck me if, for once, the marketing blurb wasn't bollox. It was opticaly the best visor I've had and it truly never fogged up and rain just ran off it. It carried on performing reight up until I disposed of the lid last year.

Why can't all visors be like that?

Oh and on the subject of rain/muck dispersal I can't reccomend Rain X enough. I've been using it for years now and with regular reapplication it really does do what it says on the plastic bottle :)

Andres

My old (7 years ago?) Bell full face had the best visor I have ever had on a bike helmet. It was really thick and the marketing blurb reckoned it was coated both sides with rain dispersent and anti fog.

Well feck me if, for once, the marketing blurb wasn't bollox. It was opticaly the best visor I've had and it truly never fogged up and rain just ran off it. It carried on performing reight up until I disposed of the lid last year.

Why can't all visors be like that?

Oh and on the subject of rain/muck dispersal I can't reccomend Rain X enough. I've been using it for years now and with regular reapplication it really does do what it says on the plastic bottle :)

Andres

Bell visors are renowned for being excellent

When or if they ever do the scan your head for a true custom fit in the UK i will buy a bell without a doubt. Currently they only do it in the USA

Those race visors for Arai i keep banging on a bout are the same sort of thing as the Bell fully sealed double glazed affair and really thick and optically correct

Made for racers so i suppose they need to be

I had the same issues with the pinlock on my helmet, I'd set it up nice & tight, but on cold mornings it'd contract & wouldn't fit. I spent ages faffing & tweaking before I gave up & went with Hypershield stick on inserts - never looked back since!!!

D

Back
Top Bottom