Fuggin' b@stard s@dding pinlock driving me nuts......

They're great when they work .. !

You understand the cams on the two little screws to adjust the 'pinch' on the pinlock? Spread the visor out with hand and forearm on a tea towel on the kitchen work surface and adjust the cams so that they both point inwards .. :thumb2

(As an aside ... I taught Mark Blundell to pass his bike test aver 25 years ago. Even then ... so 25 years ago .. he had a visor from one of his race lids that was one piece plastic but had a moulded air gap inside it. Why on earth can't they do that today on a motorcycle visor today .. ??)
Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware those little pegs were cam shaped. Never really looked at them!

The left side of my pinlock mists up after a while of riding. I'm now wondering if I can fix it by adjusting those pegs... It's clear to me it mists up because of a poor seal. I just didn't think there was any adjustment possible.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

To check the Pinlock is sealing correctly, cut a thin strip of good quality printer paper, and with the visor on the helmet, but half open, try and push the paper between the pinlock and visor. If it slides in, reposition, or adjust the cam pins. I’ve had them in various makes of helmets since time began, with no issues.
Also be aware, there are three different quality versions of Pinlock. 30,70 and 120. The higher the number, the more resistance to fogging.

As well as the cams that tighten or loosen the curve of the Pinlock and therefore how tight it is squished onto the visor the actual placement of the Pinlock is important. I guess you want the loosest fit you can get away with - as well as the paper test mentioned check that the silicon seal on the Pinlock is slightly squished and by about the same amount all the way round.

Another thing is to clean the Pinlock. Just water dab with a soft cloth (not paper) to remove excess and allow to air dry. Polish with a soft cloth and then fit. The water and slow air dry apparently reinvigorates the anti-fog properties.

At the risk of sounding patronising

Are you sure it isnt your glasses steaming rather than the pinlock

There is a solution if it is the pinlock for Arai

Have a look at race visors .com and check out the race spec visors that are a double glazed affair so will not steam

I think you onto something here. I wear glasses and it is them that cause primary issue of fogging up if temp drops or there is a high humidity. I find, once there is enough humid air inside the lit, it is only a matter of time before your glasses will “fail”

However My Schuberth C3 PRO and E1, both were the worst helmets for that. With chin vent fully open, the exhale trough the nose would eventually build up enough moisture on the surface of pinlock to basically fail at what it meant to prevent. Once dry, it is perfectly fine again and totally usable.

I now mainly use Arai QV helmet and it is perfect as far as pinlock issue goes. However my glasses still steam up if it is pouring out there or weather is on a chilly side. I can ride without glasses for a couple of hours and can see about 85-90 clear compared to when using glasses, but not wearing them eventually will put enough strain on my eyes, which in turn gives me a head ache.

I’ve tried all the wife tale solutions with glasses, but none of them last even a full day on tour etc.

The perfect answer would be wear contact lenses, but having got abnormally shaped cornea, prevents me from wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom