Juddering brakes

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
2006 r1200rt - my front brakes judder - I removed one of the callipers and the juddering stopped - bingo I thought , replaced that disc thinking it must be warped - the replacement disc does exactly the same and judders when braking

Am I missing something obvious here ? Any help as always is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 r1200rt - my front brakes judder - I removed one of the callipers and the juddering stopped - bingo I thought , replaced that disc thinking it must be warped - the replacement disc does exactly the same and judders when braking

Am I missing something obvious here ? Any help as always is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you clean mounting surfaces and check for run out?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2006 r1200rt - my front brakes judder - I removed one of the callipers and the juddering stopped - bingo I thought , replaced that disc thinking it must be warped - the replacement disc does exactly the same and judders when braking ................k

Firstly, just how did you remove the caliper? I presume you mean you unmounted it, strapped it somewhere safe, rode the bike, braked and the judder was gone?

Andres

Of course, if you removed caliper and it stopped. Fitted new disc, refitted caliper and it came back.

Obvious choice is caliper, you'll need to fully clean both calipers. A sticking piston can warp a disc.

You did fit new pads to go with the new discs ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Of course, if you removed caliper and it stopped. Fitted new disc, refitted caliper and it came back.

Obvious choice is caliper, you'll need to fully clean both calipers. A sticking piston can warp a disc.

You did fit new pads to go with the new discs ?

Sorta what I'm thinking ~ I'd be tempted to strip and clean both calipers.........

Andres

My money would be on both discs being warped with one being worse than the other

Removing one would make the brakes work differently and hide the slight warp on just one side

As above If it were me i would change both discs and clean the calipers whilst at it and of course new pads both sides

If the juddering was still there after that i would sell the bike

Cheers peeps - ok it’s sorted now and one of the following things fixed it!

1)I cleaned caliper pistons making sure they’re free
2) sanded the edges of the pads to ensure nice movement
3) undid and rechecked installation of disc
4) found very thin washer under abs ring was missing so replaced it.
5) found one of the disc bolts was missing the flat one of the two spring washers. Replaced

Put all back together and all is good in the world

Thanks for all your help

And on a side note..... is it caliper or calliper?? Spell check doesn’t like the first but I’m sure it only has one l

Caliper.

Calliper is a tool.

Or is it the same for both?

Put all back together and all is good in the world

I have a similar issue on one of my bikes. Will go through the same steps you took. Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted but when changing brake related items it’s always best to both sides, i.e. discs pads etc. You wouldn’t just change the pads on one side surely?

Glad you got it sorted but when changing brake related items it’s always best to both sides, i.e. discs pads etc. You wouldn’t just change the pads on one side surely?

Which is why i would have changed both discs

Now the bike has thicker disc on one side which could ( and I am not that Knowledgeable on this) mean that heat dissipation is uneven across the front brakes as the thin side will get hotter ( or is it the other way round) with the same frictional forces and could then warp a disc again

Of course i could be spouting bollocks I usually do with stuff like this but discwarp does seem to be much more common than it used to be

Back
Top Bottom