Toolbox for GS (not GSA)

Amadeus

Reaction score
So there are various toolboxes that attach to the aluminium pannier rails but nothing for the vario pannier rails. Any suggestions - how are others carrying around pump etc if not in topbox/pannier?

Thanks

Apart from the supplied tool kit I have a basic tool kit in a zip wallet, 6-19mm sockets and ratchet, screwdrivers and some grips and pliers, £20 off eBay I have added a set of Allen & Torx bits and it sits in top box along with a puncture kit.

Al.

Thanks Al.
My stuff currently sits in my topbox but it means when I get off, I have to jiggle everything around in the topbox when I put my lid in there. Ideally I was looking for something that I could attach to the bike and just forget about. Maybe I should just stop whining, ride my bike and not worry about it. :)

Im in the same boat- I did look at those bags that go under the top box mounting plate but not sure there'd be room in them for much so still no further forwards.

One possible option (which I have yet to pursue) is to fit one of those tool bottles to the area just beside the headstock. On the LHS there's enough space to locate a cycling bottle sized container. It would also be reasonably out of sight so hopefully less attractive to thieving scrotes.

NN do the spare oil bottle that fits inside the front fairing.
Bar the fact that after almost 3yrs mine decided to go for a walk on the 272 it could be used for tools instead by replay the bottle for a cycling one.
Loads about designed to carry tools / just make sure it’s tethered as one of those full is more to replace than 1LT of 10W50....

It sounds like I just need to go to a272, hunt about and I’ll find something for free, albeit requiring a bit of washing up... 😜

I have pondered the same issue. I thought about using the space in the nearside pannier below the exhaust profile. I think someone here made a plate or lid for this space so stuff could be stored there.
Never really bothered pursuing it further though.

Thanks; I was just about to post something similar having spoken to Touratech. The dimensions of the hole to put things into the box seem big enough for a small pump (e.g. the Metal Mule option (which is damn expensive!!)); I don't seem to be able to upload the photo including dimensions but the door is 5cm wide at the top, 15.5cm tall and 6cm wide at the bottom.
However, what I think I was really looking for was for something that would slot into the Vario Pannier holders so would stay there for as long as I needed it to but quick/easy to take off if I was going to use the pannier (as opposed to just the topbox which is what I usually use). Might end up going down this route if nothing else available.

Rgds

I use a wunderlich tail pack to hold the essentials: puncture repair, screwdriver, torx bits, duck tape, pliers etc

see https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r-series/r-1200-gs-adventure/luggage-co/tankbags-bags/wunderlich-luggagebag-boxer-bag-36920-000.html
Bigger tool roll if needed is carried in panniers when touring.

Ooh thanks. Strangely enough it doesn't say it'll fit the 1250 but I assume it would. My only problem with that is it's not got a lock on it (my feeling is that people will nick stuff because they can, not because they think a bike pump etc. is actually useful to them). Could use it just for the cheap things tho, as you're doing.

Rgds

Just had a look at my R1250GS and it seems that the tail shap has changed a little. If you look at the Wunderlich pics, there is a loop in the middle but on my bike there doesn't seem to be anything for that to attach to.

Where I've ended up so far on my 1250 GS is: Wunderlich (under)tailpack with puncture repair kit and manual pump, tank bag (SW Motech) with additional tools (Oxford kit plus some), small med kit, and room for wet weather over-kit, and when going longer distances / touring - I carry a 12V compressor in top box or panniers. But still learning !! :)

Yes, I bought one with the bmw key.

It’s well made and solid, all seemed pretty good with the only issue being the lack of variety of leaves for the lock meant that I couldn’t code the lock to my key; overcame that by getting leaves from a guy I knew.

However after attaching the box, things became more challenging. When I tightened the 2 bolts to the bottom of the bike, it seemed to bend the metal that the lock latches on to meaning that the lock would not close. The solution was to not tighten the toolbox to the bike so much and I filed down the edge to the metal that the lock latches on to.
I’ve done quite a few miles with it and it seems fine but it wasn’t quite as good as I expected. Note also that my bike doesn’t seem quite the same as the pics and video which showed how to attach it.

Cheers buddy, I think I'll see how I get on for now but it's good to know there is a solution out there.

Back
Top Bottom