Bike kit for wife

swaterston

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Now that I have a bike my wife doesn’t consider to be a total death trap, she now fancies giving being a pillion a go and has these grand ideas of weekends away on the bike! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good quality but not crazy expensive bike kit for women? Realistically I can’t see her wanting to go out in the depths of winter or anything so basically 3 season warm weather kit (if that). I have gotten her a decent helmet and boots so far but as she is 5 foot nothing, its actually been a bit of a struggle finding bike jackets and trousers that fit with the armour that sits in the right location.

Any recommendations?

si

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/stores/manchester

Its not bespoke, there'll be a mix of half decent stuff and tatt (J&S in kent have everything from shite chinese made stuff to Klim and Rukka), but there will be a huge choice there.

That would be my recommendation for somebody starting out ... :thumb2

Racer (Austrian) do ladies specific clothing, are good quality and reasonable on the purse.

My wife was unsure whether or not she'd like riding on the back.

I got a full good quality Dainese suit in her size, nearly new for £70 on eBay. Worth a look just in case. Got a brand new helmet though.

Other than that, have a good troll round a J&S shop. They have a good women's section across a wide range of sizes and prices.

Would do a little research. You can find cheaper kit ,but we do all think of safety first. As suggested have a look on ebay bargains to be had. I do have some BMW ladies trouser for sale on this site. Only been used for one Spain trip last year I still have all the labels etc.

Apart from helmet, look on ebay and the like for kit. I suspect lots of blokes (or the women themselves) spend £1500 getting kitted out, don't like it and the kit gets hung up and left. My Mrs got a full BMW Streetguard 3 suit for about £200, worn perhaps 2 or 3 times, like new and £1000 new from a dealer.

Apart from helmet, look on ebay and the like for kit. I suspect lots of blokes (or the women themselves) spend £1500 getting kitted out, don't like it and the kit gets hung up and left. My Mrs got a full BMW Streetguard 3 suit for about £200, worn perhaps 2 or 3 times, like new and £1000 new from a dealer.

Very true

I got a nice pair of Sidi ladies touring boots from a car boot sale for the wife. Must’ve been worn once, still in the box, cost me 14 euros

Afternoon all,

Now that I have a bike my wife doesn’t consider to be a total death trap, she now fancies giving being a pillion a go and has these grand ideas of weekends away on the bike! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good quality but not crazy expensive bike kit for women? Realistically I can’t see her wanting to go out in the depths of winter or anything so basically 3 season warm weather kit (if that). I have gotten her a decent helmet and boots so far but as she is 5 foot nothing, its actually been a bit of a struggle finding bike jackets and trousers that fit with the armour that sits in the right location.

Any recommendations?

si

I know you said you had a helmet for her but if you want a top quality Arai Rebel in small I have one that has not had much use and i would let it go cheap to help out a lady

Thanks for the advice so far. Yeah used kit is definitely the way we are trying to lean (apart from helmet which is a new Schuberth) – it could all end up being a very expensive phase otherwise!
At the moment it’s just about finding something that fits and then looking out for it on ebay (or on here). We have done a few trips out to shops like J&S and SBS over in Leeds and ordered a few bits from SBS to try but not much luck on sizing so far. Id never really taken notice of the fact that in these huge stores only a few of the racks are dedicated to women, and most of the J&S stuff was weird Chinese crap or xxl. The alpinestar stella kit looks pretty good though. Just need to find one that she wont boil to death in. That Bogota looks like a potential winner – thanks for the steer. Id hoped Revit would be a good fit as its good kit, but her arms are too short.

Worth looking 2nd hand imho. Lots of ladies get fully kitted, and after a couple of years the enthusiasm wanes, and the kit sits unused in a cupboard.
My ex-wife bought top kit, and hardly used it. Now she's my ex and probably never will use it again!

The alpinestar stella kit looks pretty good though. Just need to find one that she wont boil to death in. That Bogota looks like a potential winner.

Ours have worked well all around Europe

Just seen they do a Stella version of the Valparaiso jacket now which they didn’t when we bought the Bogota

I have the men’s version and the ventilation is excellent

Here’s a video, it’s in polish but you’ll get the gist

I've just invested in a new Oxford Mondial laminated suit and am very happy with it so far. Plenty warm when worn with the liners and also lots of vents for riding in warmer weather. Being a laminated suit it's fully waterproof but doesn't turn into a sodden mess like other kit with internal waterproof liners.

Jacket and trousers came to 550 euro all in from my local bike shop, and I'm very happy with the investment. I noticed in the bike shop that they also do women specific versions of the kit - so might be well worth having a look at.

Get her a pair of Rokker Revolution jeans. The ladies versions look good on the girls, they like them and they will do 4 seasons if she wears merino leggings underneath in the winter. Also totally waterproof in a deluge, so no need to worry about wet weather overtrousers. Not cheap, but very good. They even do a stretch version now. Tres facionable.

(EDIT: If she's a "leggings" type of girl, Motolegends have a good range of ladies armoured and abrasion resistant leggings. They won't keep her particularly warm or dry, but are super for half of the year)

As for a jacket - I would look for a second hand Rukka. Someone was selling a ladies one on here recently.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/stores/manchester

Its not bespoke, there'll be a mix of half decent stuff and tatt (J&S in kent have everything from shite chinese made stuff to Klim and Rukka), but there will be a huge choice there.

That would be my recommendation for somebody starting out ... :thumb2

Good advice.

You (OP) know what you are looking for and looking at. Give it a go.

Afternoon all,

Any recommendations?

si

I've got these for sale that may be the correct size ?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...buck-Suit-(Ladies-Size-10)?highlight=Atlantis

Back
Top Bottom