Kurviger update - Cloud storage

Wapping

Reaction score
Kurviger’s very good web based route creation tool, now allows you to upload your route(s) to the cloud.

From their emailed newsletter:

You can sign up on the Kurviger website, just click on the user icon in the top right (my iPad shows it as top left) of the sidebar. When you initially sign up, you can set up your profile with some questions about your riding style.

Once that is done, you can start plan a route as usual.

Click on “Save as new route”

Select the route folder you want to save the route in

You can find your new route in the “Your Routes” tab

Alternatively, you can also save a new route through the “Your Routes” tab straight away. To do so, go to “Your Routes”, select the route folder you want to save the route in (or create a new folder) and then save the route, using the lowest button in the list.

This feature is still quite fresh, so it might be that you find issues or that you miss some features. Please let us know if you think we can improve this feature.

Some of the things that are still missing, but will be added over time:

Custom sorting of the route and route folder list
Filter the route and route folder list
Make naming of a new route more flexible (like reusing the name of an imported file)
Better feedback about saving state, errors, etc.
In the next iterations it is planned to add the Favorites options, which will be similar to the bookmarks option in the app, where you can store your favorite places. To already highlight this, we show this on the website already.

Give it a go, you can’t break it. If it does break, let them know.

The chimp is a convert ..... :thumb2

I have tried the cloud based storage thing. It seems to work, at least on an iPad.

As Kurviger can accept inwards gpx files, you could create a route in BaseCamp (Giles can’t, obviously :augie ) and store it on Kurviger. Kurviger can then be used to send the route into Scenic, which will run on an iPhone. A useful way to keep a back-up in case your Garmin or TomTom gps goes AWOL. There is of course a somewhat convoluted way to get a route from an iPad into a Garmin device but it’s probably not worth it.

I am not sure how much space each Kurviger account can take on the cloud. Assuming it’s reasonable (gpx files are not large) you could use it to store routes and then re-open them in BaseCamp * . All in all, a good addition.

* I have asked Kurviger if there is a maximum limit of routes, that one account holder can upload.

You can also save routes to other personal storage servers too according to the blurb

Tip: You can even set up your own cloud sync. Store your routes (sorted in folders) in your favorite cloud like Dropbox or Google Drive. You can now open them easily on your smartphone. There are even some 3rd party applications that can offer a real synchronization between your cloud and your smartphone (unfortunately this is not included in the DropBox or Google Drive app).

You can also save routes to other personal storage servers too according to the blurb

I do something like that to display Garmin gpx files held on Dropbox on my iPad.

I download the file from say Dropbox to my iPad and then open it in Scenic. All the syncing bit is well above my pay grade.

I haven’t yet tested the theory that USB-C iPads can - with the latest software updates - see a Garmin device as a drive, so should perhaps be able to transfer files across.

Kurviger’s cloud based route storage capacity is not an issue:

Hi Richard,

thanks for the question. Currently, there are no hard limits. Currently, we do have a soft limit of 100 route collections and 100 routes per collection. So in total up to 10.000 routes. I am guessing this should be enough for most people, once someone needs more with a good reason, we might consider increasing this.

Cheers,
Robin

Back
Top Bottom