Off road training insurance?

Tbolt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Advice please

Kids have given a voucher for the World of BMW off-road skills course.

I have now booked to go at Easter.

I was advised to sort out some insurance cover.

Any advice on how I proceed with this?

Thanks
Gerry

Hi Tbolt I've been several times without insurance and generally if you comply with the training the risk of injury is small that said I have seen on two occasions riders come of heavy sustaining injuries [ mainly bruised ribs and an injured shoulder] but those were I think due to over exuberance on their part. Which level are you attending if its level 1 it will mainly be on relatively flat [stone covered] ground at the wind turbines of walters arena?

Perhaps W of BMW can suggest a suitable provider

As said, risk of injury probably low, however, if your income is dependent on you being fit to do your work, you may wish to ensure you have suitable insurance to cover mortgage/loans & beer money etc

Thanks the insurance issue was mentioned at the end of my booking process as if my own insurer should be approached.

I am doing level one and I have taken early retirement so no loss of earnings issues.

Went off road in Derbyshire with one of Skygod's team last year and had no problems.

I will not panic if unable to find insurance.

Level 1 is getting the basic foundations under your belt like navigating turns round cones, picking up the bike and a few get the feel of it short rides. All good fun, Im up there at the end of March myself on another level learning how to fall off gracefully I have a booking with Honda beforehand on their enduro days :D

Just remember to take something warm with you as it can get cold on the hills and a spare pair of gloves to swap out if they get wet.

I didn't bother with, or need, insurance.

Use their gloves. They are material, so dry quickly if you use the heated grips. Don't use your leather ones. I also used knee support tube bandages as it's 2 long days stood on the pegs. Base layer and vented kit for me as I got bloody hot, even in the rain. It's quite a workout! Kit will dry overnight.

Enjoy yourself, it's brilliant.

I was surprised at how many “experienced” riders were falling off, all through the day, when I did Level 1. Didn’t fall off once, or drop the bike, until about half an hour before the end of the second day, when I did a superman on the last hill, wrecking the bike and breaking my wrist. :blast :D

I was surprised at how many “experienced” riders were falling off, all through the day, when I did Level 1. Didn’t fall off once, or drop the bike, until about half an hour before the end of the second day, when I did a superman on the last hill, wrecking the bike and breaking my wrist. :blast :D

Did you insure the broken wrist

Boxer GS are heavy bikes to learn on, personally I wouldn’t use one to learn to ride off-road for somebody who is a novice and new to dirt

People do though, not for me

Did you insure the broken wrist

Boxer GS are heavy bikes to learn on, personally I wouldn’t use one to learn to ride off-road for somebody who is a novice and new to dirt

People do though, not for me

Nope, I didn’t. My job is desk based, so it wasn’t the end of the day. I still get the occasional twinge now though, 9 years on.

I did the course on the 800GS, which was fine for me, but those that kept falling off reckoned the 12 was better, as it didn’t fall as far, so easier to pick up.

Took out insurance when I went to do a few days at adventurider centre in Spain a few years ago, used Endsleigh Insurance as did most on the trip.
One bloke broke his arm on first day and insurance cover proved excellent and was only about £32 for the two days.

Took out insurance when I went to do a few days at adventurider centre in Spain a few years ago, used Endsleigh Insurance as did most on the trip.
One bloke broke his arm on first day and insurance cover proved excellent and was only about £32 for the two days.

Thanks Ferret,

I will contact Endsleigh. That gives me somewhere to start.

Back
Top Bottom