A nice Black Forest route....

The best source of information is are the signs themselves, not least as they are most often time / day specific. Some (very very few) villages have local restrictions during the hours of darkness. Other roads are closed only at weekends. You’ll be fine, I have rarely been troubled by them.

You might find this useful. It’s in foreign but that’s what they speak. You’ll work it out.

http://www.mintelonline.de/Streckensperrungen/

But if you are stuck:

In the files, the blockings are sorted by postcode and given an indication of the period. "SaSo" stands for a block on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, "So" on Sundays and public holidays and "full block" means a block on all days of the week. The indication "-Kuhdorf" means that the passage from here towards Kuhdorf is blocked.

The files do not contain any prohibitions on the passage of individual streets in places because detours are easily possible here and because such prohibitions are not sections of the route that are particularly interesting for motorcyclists.

For download:

gpx file for Navis and various other programs. The file extension may have to be renamed to gpx after the download. If the file is opened in the browser window, it must be downloaded with a right click, "Save target as ...".

gdb file for Navis, Garmin MapSource and Garmin BaseCamp. More suitable for MapSource than the gpx file.

kmz file for viewing in Google Earth.

For direct view in Google Maps:

GoogleMaps opens the file in a new GoogleMaps window.

Additions or suggestions for corrections can be sent to me as an email (see imprint) with the exact start and end points and the type of route closure (full closure from April to October, weekend closure, etc.). I only include line closures in locations if there is no easy alternative in the same location.

The best source of information is are the signs themselves, not least as they are most often time / day specific. Some (very very few) villages have local restrictions during the hours of darkness. Other roads are closed only at weekends. You’ll be fine, I have rarely been troubled by them.

You might find this useful. It’s in foreign but that’s what they speak. You’ll work it out.

http://www.mintelonline.de/Streckensperrungen/

Absolutely brilliant thanks

Do the biker friendly digs do full English breakfast mate, don't eat none of that foreign muck? If I send my satnav (or is twatnav) to you, will you upload the routes for me?

Many thanks biker mate

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

You didn’t seem to have any problems eating the local breakfasts in northern Germany a few weeks ago :D

For a long weekend (4 days / 3 nights) we normally head to the Ardennes and Luxembourg, but the Black Forest is reachable in a day if;

1. You are not too far from the tunnel / ferry
2. You don't mind a lot of Motorway on the 1st / last day

For me the Tunnel is bang on 2:00 hrs riding, from there I can reach Pension Williams in 6 hours, of which about 5.5 is Motorway and main roads, so 8 hours boring riding plus stop and crossing time, do-able but not much fun, and to that that twice for just 2 days in the BF is not great "value".

If you can stretch to 5 days things look up, you can be in the Black Forest having taken a way more relaxing route around lunch time on day 2, tick off the B500, grab a Hotel for 2 nights and then have a full day to do a big loop around the area, and then still have time for a leisurely 2 day ride home, or spend an extra night in the Black Forest and just suck up the long ride home on the last day.

If your one of those folks that thinks stopping in the same place for 2 nights constitutes a package holiday and not a bike trip you could actually ride through the Ardennes, Luxembourg, Black Forest and then come back Via the Vosges.

I don't mind doing this on a shorter trip, but for longer ones I like to spend 2-3 nights at the same place after a couple of days of moving on each day as I like to have a chance to relax (not pack / unpack & check in / out of a Hotel every day) get some washing done (and dried) and do some lazy looping routes without luggage weighing me down (On longer trips I also tend to be carrying more)

Main thing (IMHO) is to just do what you can when you can, it's all good.

Back
Top Bottom