Just picked up an XR

I just don't feel these vibes that everyone is talking about, I know they are there as if you take your hand off the bars and just touch them with the ends of your fingers....Their there....but I don't feel them. Compared to the last GSA's I've had (3) it's as comfortable and I haven't had to fit up and back bar risers, which I had to do with the GSA's.
It faster and handles far better which is helped by having a 17" front wheel.
Whats NOT better is:-
Crap tank range especially if you nail it.
No tyre pressure warning
Crap headlights
Crap front mudguard (short and wobbly, thats a technical term ;-) )

Which is the better bike?....IMHO it's down to personal choice but if your like me and the only off road you do is 'muck roads' with grass or gravel down it, then the XR with its turn off speed and sheer grin factor is the one for me :okay

So I’ve managed to get nearly 300 miles in over the last couple of days. The new bar ends have transformed the vibrations. No problems at all now. Haven’t got around to fitting the new Michelin’s yet so I’m struggling with a very square original tyre. All I can say is what a machine it does everything my GS does but so much better. Took a pillion about 110miles to pick up his new bike it is even better than the GS 2 up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapped my 17 XR for a 16 GS triple black & although the GS is a great bike, I miss the XR & looking to go back. I put 18k miles on the XR & only ever felt the vibes when the tyres were worn (roadtech 01's) & on motorways.

Just in the process of selling my 2nd XR to buy my first ever R1200GS. Hope I'm not doing the wrong thing. The vibes on the XR were cured instantly with Evotech bar ends. Michelin Road 5's are perfect for it and really help the handling, especially the need for excessive counter steering on fast bends which you get with bridgestones and Pirelli's. My main gripe is that ridden properly I only get 120 miles to a tank, and it brings out the devil in you and is a licence loser. Wanted something a bit more sedate but I hope the GS doesn't have bar vibration issues otherwise I may have to look elsewhere ?

Just in the process of selling my 2nd XR to buy my first ever R1200GS. Hope I'm not doing the wrong thing. The vibes on the XR were cured instantly with Evotech bar ends. Michelin Road 5's are perfect for it and really help the handling, especially the need for excessive counter steering on fast bends which you get with bridgestones and Pirelli's. My main gripe is that ridden properly I only get 120 miles to a tank, and it brings out the devil in you and is a licence loser. Wanted something a bit more sedate but I hope the GS doesn't have bar vibration issues otherwise I may have to look elsewhere ?

Sorry to say I still have my GS. Can’t see me every riding it again. So agricultural in comparison. Unless your going off road I can’t see the point. I loved my GS did 7k last year on it. But I think it will have to go.

Every GS I owned vibrated more than my XR ever did.

Sorry to say I still have my GS. Can’t see me every riding it again. So agricultural in comparison. Unless your going off road I can’t see the point. I loved my GS did 7k last year on it. But I think it will have to go.

I have an XR. I also have an R1200RS. Both 2016 bikes. They work well as a pair. I use the RS for commuting and most winter rides where the low c of g and shaft drive are benefits. I have toured Europe on both. They can blast down the autoroute or tackle single track roads in the Alps with luggage. Little in it but the XR is better if my mate on a 1290 KTM is on the trip. The XR is favoured for daytrips in the warmer months.

The xr will pull 6th smooth as silk from 30mph or first with excitement gs vibrates if in the wrong gear XR has high frequency vibration that bar ends have sorted. Yes can only compare the GS to a defender and the XR to a GT car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing bike. The vibes were not too bad with the evo tech weights but it was the tank range that signed the death warrant for me. Just used to get on my tits with the light coming on at 130 miles.

Amazing bike. The vibes were not too bad with the evo tech weights but it was the tank range that signed the death warrant for me. Just used to get on my tits with the light coming on at 130 miles.

Did you ever try running it completely down? I did, several times!

The light came on mine around then, but there was always around 40-60 miles let in the tank when it did.

Did you ever try running it completely down? I did, several times!

The light came on mine around then, but there was always around 40-60 miles let in the tank when it did.
On a trip/tour 200 miles was achievable

On a hard spanking sunday blast 160 - 170 was about right on mine ( hill topped of course)

There was a day when the light came on and gave me a range of 45 miles to empty and the sat nav said it was 44 to home so i played fuel roulette

10 miles from home range said zero but it still made it and enough to get to a petrol station next time out

I refuse to do more than 150 miles without a fag break anyway so it was plenty enough

it does come on far too early but it's not hard to ignore and just run the F counter down until I need a comfort stop. A combination of a middle aged bladder and ageing joints mean my days of riding 200 miles between stops are long gone. Rarely make it to 150 miles today, and that's on a road where the average speed is at least NSL

Back
Top Bottom