And on the topic of luggage capacity...

Fitted the top box rack today. Very straightforward, though getting the longer bolts through to the backrest was one of those fiddly jobs. Still, it took less than 20 minutes from start to finish. The product is very well made. I'll hopefully get round to doing the pannier racks later this week.

a4f5a56113c7253ee16336fe4e8d5463.jpg
e246e934687c073a9e0f61d90a2df84f.jpg

Looks good, thanks for the update
How secure is the rear fixing ?
Hope the pannier racks work out well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good, thanks for the update
How secure is the rear fixing ?
Hope the pannier racks work out well

No problem. The rear fixing is plenty secure: basically, a wide bracket fits underneath the backrest and is secured by two of the backrest attachment screws. The front fixing fits neatly under the lifting "handle"

3b69bf80588b105aa64662f0f87eff6d.jpg

We use the suicide clothing technique, binning tee shirts, socks and underwear as we go, leaves room for a few purchases.

Good approach

We have a bag of potential suicide clothing in the wardrobe ready to be brought out for the next trip. It also reduces the washing when you get home, win win

No problem. The rear fixing is plenty secure: basically, a wide bracket fits underneath the backrest and is secured by two of the backrest attachment screws. The front fixing fits neatly under the lifting "handle"

3b69bf80588b105aa64662f0f87eff6d.jpg

Thanks again, that’s good to know

Thanks again, that’s good to know

I finally got round to fitting the pannier racks. A bit more testing to fit than the topbox version, but nothing really difficult. If you decide to go for them, feel free to message me for tips as the instructions miss out a couple of useful things to know!

Fitted, they clear everything (though they're close to the release catch) and are more than strong enough. I'm glad I got them as they will be very useful. Oh, and just like the topbox version, nothing has to be drilled so they can be removed easily (ten minutes) to return your panniers to standard.

d5e4017632be042864ce10ee632f5e72.jpg
a9d42137a89d1f6bdebd86ef400dd914.jpg
d0f05133b3e4346f6bcdc15de95eda67.jpg

Be very interested to see how the racks work out, as I have the same issue
Hope they are a good solution, we got a three week trip planned later this year.
I tried a Wunderlich top box rack, last year, it went straight back to Nippy Norman’s for a refund - basic design flaw.

I understnd where the OP is coming from. We have the Wunderlich top-box rack and although it needed a minor tweek to get the feet square to the lid I think it's an okay bit of kit. We have a lightweight bag that we put there under a luggage net purely to contain our discarded waterproof and thermal liners and such the like; nothing heavy but it works a treat.

As for luggage space sharing I get one pannier and the tank bag, Mrs B gets the other pannier and the enormous topbox (although I might sneak the odd item in there when she isn't looking!).

Are the pannier top racks metal or plastic ?
I can't help but think that the old adage of 'Lay out all the stuff you want to take, halve it, then halve it again' is the best approach. Spend the money you're going to lay out on extra racks and bags on travel clothing....lighter, packs smaller, iron free sort of stuff.
As someone alludes to above, piling stuff high on top of panniers and top boxes does bad things to how the bike handles and takes away some of the pleasure of riding...just IMHO of course

Are the pannier top racks metal or plastic ?
I can't help but think that the old adage of 'Lay out all the stuff you want to take, halve it, then halve it again' is the best approach. Spend the money you're going to lay out on extra racks and bags on travel clothing....lighter, packs smaller, iron free sort of stuff.
As someone alludes to above, piling stuff high on top of panniers and top boxes does bad things to how the bike handles and takes away some of the pleasure of riding...just IMHO of course
The ones I chose are laser-cut (I think) aluminium. I think the weight/handling issue has been addressed a couple of times already in this thread...

I finally got round to fitting the pannier racks. A bit more testing to fit than the topbox version, but nothing really difficult. If you decide to go for them, feel free to message me for tips as the instructions miss out a couple of useful things to know!

Fitted, they clear everything (though they're close to the release catch) and are more than strong enough. I'm glad I got them as they will be very useful. Oh, and just like the topbox version, nothing has to be drilled so they can be removed easily (ten minutes) to return your panniers to standard.

d5e4017632be042864ce10ee632f5e72.jpg
a9d42137a89d1f6bdebd86ef400dd914.jpg
d0f05133b3e4346f6bcdc15de95eda67.jpg

Hi Malcvtr
Your fitted pannier racks look good, I think I’m going to buy them. I’ve got a couple of Kriegs US20’s that should sit OK on them. The racks also help reduce the potential damage (and my OCD ) when SWMBO swings her boot into the panniers as she getting on/off

Hi Malcvtr
Your fitted pannier racks look good, I think I’m going to buy them. I’ve got a couple of Kriegs US20’s that should sit OK on them. The racks also help reduce the potential damage (and my OCD ) when SWMBO swings her boot into the panniers as she getting on/off

Cool. I'm certainly pleased with them

Tools needed (Aldi brand Torx not compulsory )

b9a05869885cb07ef3c68ad680709840.jpg
98a1ab8a3c81e7d011a9cfb41bc6d6f6.jpg
f7697e57f9fec809be7f9d40c93a55e9.jpg

Hi Malcvtr

That is a point that is worth pursuing. We have mounted luggage on top of the panniers and for the record it is VERY difficult for the pillion to mount and dismount the bike. Many pillions kick the panniers when there is nothing on top of the them. Even adding the rack will make it more difficult. By the time you add luggage, it will become VERY difficult. That time when a pillion in mounting / dismounting the bike is when the bike is MOST unstable. Think VERY carefully before going down this luggage mounting route.
For the record, I solved the issue by installing some brackets on the rear face of the panniers and then strapped the luggage (upright) on the rear face of each pannier in stuffa bags. For me, a MUCH better solution.

That is a point that is worth pursuing. We have mounted luggage on top of the panniers and for the record it is VERY difficult for the pillion to mount and dismount the bike. Many pillions kick the panniers when there is nothing on top of the them. Even adding the rack will make it more difficult. By the time you add luggage, it will become VERY difficult. That time when a pillion in mounting / dismounting the bike is when the bike is MOST unstable. Think VERY carefully before going down this luggage mounting route.
For the record, I solved the issue by installing some brackets on the rear face of the panniers and then strapped the luggage (upright) on the rear face of each pannier in stuffa bags. For me, a MUCH better solution.
Wow. You make it sound almost impossible I guess I'm lucky that Lynn is very flexible, she almost never kicks the panniers and I have no problem with bike stability when she gets on or off.

Your vertical racks sound like a good alternative. Got any pics for the collective?

Wow. You make it sound almost impossible I guess I'm lucky that Lynn is very flexible, she almost never kicks the panniers and I have no problem with bike stability when she gets on or off.

Your vertical racks sound like a good alternative. Got any pics for the collective?

Its probably more to do with how tall the pillion is. My good lady is 5ft 3 and is very supple, but still catches the seat sometimes. I remember on a trip to Germany, she bought too much wine to bring back (we stayed in a vineyard). So I loaded the wine in the panniers and posted our clothes back home (the ones we hadn't binned) :)

Its probably more to do with how tall the pillion is. My good lady is 5ft 3 and is very supple, but still catches the seat sometimes. I remember on a trip to Germany, she bought too much wine to bring back (we stayed in a vineyard). So I loaded the wine in the panniers and posted our clothes back home (the ones we hadn't binned) :)

Quite possibly. Lynn’s 5’ 5.5” (she’s proud of that 0.5 ).

I also think technique might play a role: Lynn stands on the left footpeg, bends her right leg at the knee (obviously) so that her right heel is touching her backside, swings over and then lowers her leg/foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite possibly. Lynn’s 5’ 5.5” (she’s proud of that 0.5 ).

I also think technique might play a role: Lynn stands on the left footpeg, bends her right leg at the knee (obviously) so that her right heel is touching her backside, swings over and then lowers her leg/foot.

Now try it with a 6" diameter stuffabag on each pannier and see how she gets on with that there (with all her cold weather waterproof gear on). If she copes fine, well you have a winner.
My wife is considerably shorter at 5'.00" and that I am sure will make things tougher! But to anyone thinking about it, please make a mock up first otherwise you may well be looking at selling your precious new pannier racks on eBay anytime soon. You may also find yourself trying out your shiny crash bars.

Now try it with a 6" diameter stuffabag on each pannier and see how she gets on with that there (with all her cold weather waterproof gear on). If she copes fine, well you have a winner.
My wife is considerably shorter at 5'.00" and that I am sure will make things tougher! But to anyone thinking about it, please make a mock up first otherwise you may well be looking at selling your precious new pannier racks on eBay anytime soon. You may also find yourself trying out your shiny crash bars.

Fortunately, the wet weather oversuits intended for each pannier rack fold up smaller than that, but I take your point.

Any pics of your brackets, mate? Would be useful to see... And did you need to drill anything?

Another technique from another forum

“Bike on the side stand and she mounts from the high side driver peg. That helps her get her leg higher more easily because she starts from a higher place. I am holding the handlebars from the left (low) side and she's grabbing my shoulder for support.

When on in the driver position she then slides back onto the pillion seat. Dismount is the reverse.

She likes to have the tail trunk on for back support so this is the best way to avoid kicking that. If mounting from the rear pegs it is quite difficult when the trunk is on.”

Another technique from another forum

“Bike on the side stand and she mounts from the high side driver peg. That helps her get her leg higher more easily because she starts from a higher place. I am holding the handlebars from the left (low) side and she's grabbing my shoulder for support.

When on in the driver position she then slides back onto the pillion seat. Dismount is the reverse.

She likes to have the tail trunk on for back support so this is the best way to avoid kicking that. If mounting from the rear pegs it is quite difficult when the trunk is on.”

So climbing on the bike whilst on the side stand, so all the weight is on the side stand, Hmmm not sure about that. My wife gets on, when I am on the bike and able to steady it. Anyway not an issue as I won't have pannier racks or bags. If it doesn't go in the panniers and top box, it doesn't go - simples :)

Back
Top Bottom