And on the topic of luggage capacity...

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of the downsides of persuading your wife to come on a bike tour with you is the amount of luggage she deems essential
Unfortunately, the RT panniers don't allow any additional items to be stored on top of them, but at least one company seems to have come up with a very neat solution for not a huge amount of money. Anyone got any experience of these:

https://www.rs-motorcyclesolutions....-k1600-gt-k1600-gtl-r1200-rt-lc-r1250-rt.html

c7be1678845f1afffe3de97723bfcbfa.jpg
8eccadb69d5c2d184558816f369650d9.jpg
de0127a66195061d668b7e93fdb46926.jpg

That sounds promising. Thanks for that.

I'm thinking of using the pannier racks for each set of wet weather gear - not weighty, but quite bulky. Carrying any extra weight lower down (panniers rather than top box) has got to be a good idea.

That sounds promising. Thanks for that.

I'm thinking of using the pannier racks for each set of wet weather gear - not weighty, but quite bulky. Carrying any extra weight lower down (panniers rather than top box) has got to be a good idea.
Though not that common, there is another way of carrying the wife's makeup low down behind an RT...

6763341ac72c0675103fd5f656f2744f.jpg

Give her 'her' pannier. 'What you can fit in it, you can take'. Jacket/lightweight bits and bobs in the topbox. Job done

What Davey B says - my wife gets the bigger pannier without the exhaust cut out. Waterproofs and bits and bobs in the tank bag. The top box is for a couple of items, spare gloves, food, water and space for stowing jacket liners when they get removed as we reach warmer weather. IT works, if she can't get it in the pannier it doesn't go and she has got very good at taking just what she needs over the years and realises that she doesn't need a lot of the stuff she thinks she does.

Good advice guys To be fair, I introduced her to roll-up vacuum bags a few years ago and she was quite content

On the racks front, I had a "Sod it!" moment and ordered the pannier racks and the top box rack. I'll let you know how I get on. Good service from the German company - they've already dispatched them.

We've long since dispensed with any notion of bike camping when we tour (we'll happily do decent hostels) but to us, the key is to move on and never stay more than 2 days in any one place.....that way you need fewer clothes as no one knows you've worn the same shirt 4 evenings on the trot. Less is more. It works

We've long since dispensed with any notion of bike camping when we tour (we'll happily do decent hostels) but to us, the key is to move on and never stay more than 2 days in any one place.....that way you need fewer clothes as no one knows you've worn the same shirt 4 evenings on the trot. Less is more. It works
Haha. Brilliant. Fortunately, this trip (in June) follows that schedule

After the compromise of bike tour (versus either flying or in a car with 3x as much kit) v accommodation we have settled on nice spots to stay (9 or more on booking) that appeases Mrs B and in return, she has sought out clothes that pack smaller, crease free etc It works for us, hope Mrs Vtr is as easy going. good luck

After the compromise of bike tour (versus either flying or in a car with 3x as much kit) v accommodation we have settled on nice spots to stay (9 or more on booking) that appeases Mrs B and in return, she has sought out clothes that pack smaller, crease free etc It works for us, hope Mrs Vtr is as easy going. good luck
She is mate, to be fair The fact that we're aiming for some Paradores in northern Spain that she really wants to stay at also sweetens the "limited wardrobe" pill

Good advice guys To be fair, I introduced her to roll-up vacuum bags a few years ago and she was quite content

On the racks front, I had a "Sod it!" moment and ordered the pannier racks and the top box rack. I'll let you know how I get on. Good service from the German company - they've already dispatched them.

Be very interested to see how the racks work out, as I have the same issue
Hope they are a good solution, we got a three week trip planned later this year.
I tried a Wunderlich top box rack, last year, it went straight back to Nippy Norman’s for a refund - basic design flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Davey B says - my wife gets the bigger pannier without the exhaust cut out. Waterproofs and bits and bobs in the tank bag. The top box is for a couple of items, spare gloves, food, water and space for stowing jacket liners when they get removed as we reach warmer weather. IT works, if she can't get it in the pannier it doesn't go and she has got very good at taking just what she needs over the years and realises that she doesn't need a lot of the stuff she thinks she does.

When Lorraine and I toured on my GS with the System panniers, I designated the smaller pannier with the cutout as hers.
Thus ensuring she packed only her skimpiest items of clothing. :D :augie

Our compromise is slightly different ie if it is not 3 star or above we don't stay there, mind you the last time we did the camping thing she did end up with pneumonia

The lovely Mrs Saint gets the smaller pannier. Her clothes are smaller than mine. She doesn't bother with make up; she's on a bike trip. Only her contact lens solution takes up extra space. I get the bigger pannier. Shared stuff goes in the top box along with waterproofs and the tank bag has immediate access stuff eg sunglasses, passports etc. we have toured for a month at a time like this. B and Bs will usually let you use their washing machine, mostly with no charge. Laundrettes are still an option. Hand wash with stuff drying in the en suite, especially base layers that dry really quickly. Job done!

Be very interested to see how the racks work out, as I have the same issue
Hope they are a good solution, we got a three week trip planned later this year.
I tried a Wunderlich top box rack, last year, it went straight back to Nippy Norman’s for a refund - basic design flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll certainly report back, thomo Hopefully, they'll be a useful way to store lightweight stuff.

Fitted the top box rack today. Very straightforward, though getting the longer bolts through to the backrest was one of those fiddly jobs. Still, it took less than 20 minutes from start to finish. The product is very well made. I'll hopefully get round to doing the pannier racks later this week.

a4f5a56113c7253ee16336fe4e8d5463.jpg
e246e934687c073a9e0f61d90a2df84f.jpg

There was an interesting article in the BMW club magazine recently about max payloads, and how easy they are to exceed!
BMW say (IIRC) the max payload is 467 pounds.
At 88kg (gym clothes) I guess I will be around 100kg (220 pounds) with riding gear, helmet etc
SWMBO will be about 20Kg less (180 pounds)
Each pannier at 20 pounds each (40 pounds)
I am getting close by the time I add a bit of kit strapped across the luggage rack.
...just saying!

Yeah, very fair comment and I'm well aware of the issue. Of even more importance is where any extra weight is carried. Only a fool would strap something heavy to the top of a top box!

However, there are plenty of things which are quite bulky, but lightweight - like my wife's puffa jacket. It weighs less than a pound. So, the plan will be puffa jacket (and maybe mine) plus a couple of other lightweight items on the top box rack, then each waterproof oversuit on each of the pannier racks.

Back
Top Bottom