First trip to the west coast May 3rd-14th

Mark H

Formerly known as Easyrider5258 (Mark)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Upcoming trip in planning, Departing Cambridgeshire 03/05 to Moffat for first night, day 2 Moffat to Mull, staying in B&B in Fionnphort for 4 nights, plan is photography on isle of Mull, landscape, sea eagles, otters, got a wildlife boat trip organised, then onto Fort Augustus for 6 nights B&B as a base to do the west coast including Applecross and Skye, then back to Mickys do at Dent :beerjug::thumb2

Any must see suggestions welcome

After Moffat, take a Clyde ferry (not CalMac) and head up the West coast through southern Argyll, Kilmartin etc to Oban. Then take the ferry to Craignure on Mull. Alternatively, have a look at CalMac island hopping tickets and maybe go via Arran or Bute. Ferries force you to chill for a while and take in the views ; with the added bonus of opportunities for photography.

Thanks Pete, some interesting alternatives there, was planning to take the straight forward route to Oban via loch Lomand

I wouldn't be taking the Oban ferry to mull. I'd go up past Oban via Connel/castle stalker to the corran ferry and take the 15 minute ferry from Lochaline to Fishnish.

I wouldn't be taking the Oban ferry to mull. I'd go up past Oban via Connel/castle stalker to the corran ferry and take the 15 minute ferry from Lochaline to Fishnish.

Cheers Cabby, out of interest, why not the Oban ferry to Mull?

Thanks for the links Pete:thumb

Heading up there on the 5th March back on the 9th

This is our route, with a few option depending on weather, snow, storms etc. We go the first weekend in March very year. Be prepared to be wet and very cold (even in May), Gerbing is your friend.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• 5B749EFE-94D4-47BD-8923-E5FB9CFA0507.jpg
    5B749EFE-94D4-47BD-8923-E5FB9CFA0507.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 130
Cheers Tetley, half the funs the planning, I have a Keis heated jacket if needed :thumb2

Mull is magnificent......

23359443906d54c41ece9f9e0b4261ee.jpg

b4f81ac8a573a9a51fc43b3fe6ede1f6.jpg

ea512f814935ba96714214f2c940de8f.jpg

c7820248161adacba7f99c8231293b03.jpg

7dd21c25813520bcbabc7768866cf5a5.jpg

I'm with Cabby on this one. Far better to take the Lochaline ferry to Fishnish. Better scenery to Lochaline as well as a chance to see some wildlife, takes 15 mins on a good day compared to 45, as well as being a bit quieter.

If your planning on coming up the West coast from Hunters quay to Oban you can divert to the Bridge over the Atlantic (B844 to Clachan Seil) takes about 10mins e/way. On way back across from Mull go from Tobermory to Kilchoan and head off to the Adrnamurchan lighthouse (westernmost point on Uk mainland). On a good day there is the chance of spotting wales, basking sharks or dolphins.

Enjoy the A861 costal road to Lochailort and head up to Mallaig and back down to Fort William on the A830.

Thanks, ... all food for thought, just booked a place on this (Last one!)

Attachments

• 2019leaflet.jpg
    2019leaflet.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 121
ffs, I've edited out my reply.

I'll go again, the road from Oban to the corran ferry is lovely, then over towards Lochaline near Strontian is another great road with fantastic views, the ferry at Lochaline takes 15 minutes as opposed to an hour from Oban, granted the time you save is taken up riding further north but you won't regret it.

The good thing is, you'll be up there before the midges hatch, plus reasonable weather.:thumb
I went up the west coast and Skye directly following on from Dent two years ago.
Fantastic weather all week and bite free. A good time of the year to go.

The good thing is, you'll be up there before the midges hatch, plus reasonable weather.:thumb
I went up the west coast and Skye directly following on from Dent two years ago.
Fantastic weather all week and bite free. A good time of the year to go.

I'm doing it the other way round, trip first Dent on way back, see you at Dent?

Thanks Pete, some interesting alternatives there, was planning to take the straight forward route to Oban via loch Lomand

You have a couple of good options to Oban from Loch Lomond, I'm guessing you're looking at heading to Crainlarich then Dalmally/Oban, alternatively Inveraray/Lochgilphead/Oban, either way they are great roads.

After Mull, as fink says head towards Lochailort round that coast, lot of single track but again you are richly rewarded then towards Mallaig where you can take the Armadale ferry to Skye or just head further north back towards Fort Bill and up the A87 to Skye, possibly the fastest stretch of road you are ever likely to ride.

After 4 nights on Mull, I'm "re-positioning" myself to Fort Augustus in a B&B for 6 nights as a base for day trips out on the west coast, Skye, Applecross ect

btw, that's the week of the Scottish 6 days trial, there will be literally hundreds of trials bikes on the roads, so be aware of it and if you have a chance and see them at the side of the road doing a section, stop and watch for a bit, Dougie Lamkin et all are very impressive.

btw, that's the week of the Scottish 6 days trial, there will be literally hundreds of trials bikes on the roads, so be aware of it and if you have a chance and see them at the side of the road doing a section, stop and watch for a bit, Dougie Lamkin et all are very impressive.

Watch out for various meets of classic enthusiasts. They often use the Fort Bill, Kinlocheil, Acharacle / Strontian loop for runs. There's usually a meet at Kinlochleven and the Kinlochleven loop is always a good run.

Re Cabby's thoughts, he's right about riding via Corran to take the other ferries. You could of course do both by doing a loop? While you're in Mull, have a look at Iona, leaving the bike at Ffionport. Plus a circuit of Mull will give you plenty of places to stop and watch for otters and eagles. ( A friend was walking on Mull once and witnessed an eagle take a lamb.)

There's a great sea food place just at the ferry to Ulva. The ferry is a rowing boat that you shout for if he's on the other side! Plus, there's the seafood / fish n chips van at Tobermory.

Back
Top Bottom