London theft insurance - impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would not feel comfortable leaving a bike in a lock-up that is at the end of a dark alley

That is sadly, how insurances operate.

I kept my bikes for some years in an underground parking with 24/7 surveillance on-site, CCTV, garage was locked after 9pm (with the guard inside) opened up back again at 7am.
They agreed to insure me there (thousands per year), but at some point they deemed it not secure.

Shitty lock up at the end of the dark alley with cardboard door? YES THAT'S PERFECT.

:toungincheek

When is a garage not a garage? would insurers class this as a garage?

Attachments

• cec3be06b2025b24e272e31cecb2cdc0--sport-motorcycles-dual-sport.jpg
    cec3be06b2025b24e272e31cecb2cdc0--sport-motorcycles-dual-sport.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 117
weirdly enough, there is enough room for 2-3 bikes in the front garden, but not enough room for a garage, and a) it would block out all the light to my front room, and b) would not get planning permission

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 10.54.31.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 10.54.31.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 113
That is sadly, how insurances operate.

I kept my bikes for some years in an underground parking with 24/7 surveillance on-site, CCTV, garage was locked after 9pm (with the guard inside) opened up back again at 7am.
They agreed to insure me there (thousands per year), but at some point they deemed it not secure.

Shitty lock up at the end of the dark alley with cardboard door? YES THAT'S PERFECT.

:toungincheek

The lock-up that's just 100m from my home didn't reduce the premium for me. The garage had to be on my property.

The lock-up also cost £1,200 per year, so no great saving.

Prior to my LC being stolen my policy cost £650 chained to an anchor.

Also, not all comparison sites would quote me for my 1250.

Your bike looks to be a credible risk to any underwriter - Does it surprise you that they aren't interested?

People seem to have this expectation that everything is possible when you want it/where you want it.........

Sometimes it just - ain't!:rob

Your bike looks to be a credible risk to any underwriter - Does it surprise you that they aren't interested?

People seem to have this expectation that everything is possible when you want it/where you want it.........

Sometimes it just - ain't!:rob

+1 - to me it just makes sense. It's not a risk I'd want to take.

"Come to London, the world is your Oyster (card)"

There are several options:

1) Change bike to something with lower risk grouping (its london innit).

2) Change your risk, some jobs if described differently reduce premiums, do additional training.

3) Move.

Or, see what additional security fitted would either reduce premiums or make it more insureable to a wider base, ie smartwater, tracker, thatcham approved locks, alarm/immobiliser.

Get your local councillor to find out what the position is on a temporary structure, such as an asgard.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i am not willing to pay thousands to insure my bike

And insurance companies are not willing to take such a huge risk of having to pay out when your bike is stolen.

Insurers' prices are based on risk and sadly, a relatively desirable bike regularly parked in the same place in an area known for high rates of bike theft isn't a good risk for them.

It's a bit like putting a bet on a horse which you know is sick with rubbish odds. Why would you?

Can’t you get a small outbuilding in the back garden, then keep the bike in there?

maybe i will buy the cheapest CRF1000 i can get and cover it in hideous pink gaffer tape, to make it less desirable to thieves

house has no rear access, and can't get bike through the house to the garden (doorways/hall not wide enough etc)

sounds like your home is not suitable for your lifestyle. Why do you live there?

I’ve just had a similar problem. Best option was to go with a high compulsory excess of £1250 then insure that for £80 p.a.. I’ve been riding GSs since 1993 but was penalised 50% because I was “unfamiliar” with the new one.

Bike was parked in the front garden (SW London) and was stolen within two months but no quibble from insurer (although next policy will be £880 + excess insurance). Always best to play with a straight bat.

this is a thieves "wanted" list of bikes, apparently..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 15.43.07.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 15.43.07.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom