Basecamp & Maps Install Directory

arealhuman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm just reinstalling Basecamp on a new PC and would prefer to put it on my D: drive (HDD) and keep it and the maps off of my system drive (C: NVMe SSD). Trouble is, there's no option during the install of Basecamp to change the directory, so it goes straight to C:. Not matter I thought, I installed Garmin Express and installed the maps to my D drive - I used the same directory structure, but on the D: drive - but Basecamp won't pick up the maps. After a lot of searching online this afternoon I found a comment from Garmin on their website that whilst Garmin Express will let you install the maps somewhere other than C:, Basecamp is unable to see them. Useful. My search also popped up this thread here, but unfortunately that wasn't quite the same problem.

Has anyone had this problems and fixed it? My other option is to free up some space on C: but it's a small drive and been trimmed down as it is!

Thnaks for any help :)

I have exactly the same setup. Garmin Express wants to install maps to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps. Move them to any convenient folder on your D: drive then right-click on each map and select Create Shortcut from the dropdown list. Put the shortcuts into C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps and BaseCamp should see them. Watch out for Express creating an archive at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map as it puts a copy of each download there and they're about 12 to 13 gigabytes a download. They can be safely removed.

I have exactly the same setup. Garmin Express wants to install maps to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps. Move them to any convenient folder on your D: drive then right-click on each map and select Create Shortcut from the dropdown list. Put the shortcuts into C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps and BaseCamp should see them. Watch out for Express creating an archive at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map as it puts a copy of each download there and they're about 12 to 13 gigabytes a download. They can be safely removed.

Brilliant, that worked, thanks. In my Maps folder on my D: drive (D:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps) I couldn't tell which files were map files, although I could probably guess by their size:

Capture.JPG

I created a shortcut of the entire directory of D:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps\City_Navigator_Europe_NTU_2020.30.gmap and placed that in the C: drive area for Garmin Maps and it seems to work a treat so far - it sees the 2020.30 maps as "installed" and not just from the memory card in my Nav 4. Not yet tred anything else like route planning/laoding routes but no reason to see it woudln't work.

Many thanks for your help and reply - you'd think in this day and age you'd get the option of an install directory!

Another way is to use the utility from JaVaWa GMTK (google for it). Let the maps install on the C: drive, then use GMTK to move to your chosen location on D:. It creates the shortcuts automatically.

GMTK is also very useful for copying maps onto another PC using the Backup and Restore functions.

Another way is to use the utility from JaVaWa GMTK (google for it). Let the maps install on the C: drive, then use GMTK to move to your chosen location on D:. It creates the shortcuts automatically.

GMTK is also very useful for copying maps onto another PC using the Backup and Restore functions.

Thanks Tomcat, just had a look at their website. Interesting tool, never heard of it before!

Back
Top Bottom