Anybody use a panasonic toughbook? Advice wanted

shaunandco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After my work laptop got flooded last weekend im looking for a new laptop and was considering a toughbook as i like the idea of a laptop that is waterproof!! Just wondering if these are any good with regards to being waterproof/ dustproof as it is used in a fabrication shop. Looking at a mk3 CF19- it will basically only be used to run 1 program so doesn't need to be an all singing machine. Any advice out there appreciated as Im not the best with computers:blast

yes I have used previous model, yes they are pretty tough, there are other options cheaper though

Panasonic Toughbook

I have had a CF30 Toughbook and now use a CF31. They're very similar with only a few differences. They're not the fastest but definitely a contender for being indestructible. Mine has always been taken on bike trips abroad for downloading photos and videos. I also use mine for programming cars. The only modification mine has is that to protect the hard drive I converted from a 500G Hard Drive to a 1T SSD. Battery life isn't brilliant and I have a second battery installed which fits in the cd/dvd slot. When away I bring both a mains and 12v charger with me. I wouldn't consider buying a new model. They can be picked up very reasonably priced on flea bay.

I have had a CF30 Toughbook and now use a CF31. They're very similar with only a few differences. They're not the fastest but definitely a contender for being indestructible. Mine has always been taken on bike trips abroad for downloading photos and videos. I also use mine for programming cars. The only modification mine has is that to protect the hard drive I converted from a 500G Hard Drive to a 1T SSD. Battery life isn't brilliant and I have a second battery installed which fits in the cd/dvd slot. When away I bring both a mains and 12v charger with me. I wouldn't consider buying a new model. They can be picked up very reasonably priced on flea bay.

Thanks for this. Speed isn't really that important to me as it will probably only have 1 program on it and not worried about the battery as apart from short periods it will be plugged in. Ive seen a refurb on eBay for £150 that i thought seemed reasonable. Just out of interest do you happen to know how waterproof they are and if you use yours in a garage are they fairly dust proof?

Mine normally lives in the boot of my car! It has been rained on a couple of times but I generally try to keep it dry. It's well able to take moisture. It's only ever been exposed to normal dust and has been knocked about on occasions. It's slightly bulky but that actually makes it feel more robust. The HDD is actually enclosed in a "cage" which has a heated coil to warm the drive if the temperature is too low. It also made transferring to SSD a breeze. I just did a complete data transfer from HD to SSD and then swapped them over.

Back
Top Bottom