France return ferry - prebook or buy on arrival

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm off to France in early June, not sure when I want to return so thinking of leaving the booking open and buying on arrival at port when I arrive. Anyone done this? I'll probably aim for Cherbourg to Poole and cannot imagine they'll have no room for a bike

Any experiences/advice appreciated

Not done the ferry to France before, tunnel only, but I'd imagine they'll be busy come June. I've always found the Tunnel flexible when needing to change times/dates last minute. Why not use the tunnel to build in the flex you need? Nice day long potter down and along the South coast to Folkestone.

Most companies will charge more if you just rock up to the port.

Even if you only book it the same morning, logging onto the BF website will ensure you get a ticket and most likely at a cheaper price.

BF do 3 types of ticket, one is a full flex ticket, so compare costs of a flex return with 2 non flex singles.

Possibly the better option is to ring BF Plymouth when you know you're returning and get them to tell you which ferries have space and then book over the phone.

If you do want to just take a chance and rock up then maybe aim for a mid-week ferry as they're typically the quietest, and Caen (Ouistreham) has the most ferries so less chance of having to wait.

Back
Top Bottom