Moab is dead....

HMOB

Reaction score
...If you really want to do some canyoning/hiking, then do it, I have been for the last 3 days, but I would not stay in Moab again.
The main road that everything is built around and Jesus wept.....They have been building, the place is now large, not the small town it once was.....I guess when I was here last 14-15 years back, there was probably 4 or 5 motels, it must be getting on for nearly 20 now:eek: Or perhaps more! Anyways this main road, I asked the locals and it seems there are 60 thousand vehicles through it 24/7 and a lot of that traffic is big rigs and they ain`t quiet:(
I would seek out a place away from any road, or better still camp, you can get away from it all then, hire a RV and do all the parks around here over a two week period, there truly is no better place for stunning scenery and the colours are simply stunning.

Same old, same old.....Too many people, not enough room.

If you want to see the wildlife in the desserts, then you have to be up before light and get into the parks first and you will also find parking for the hikes, if you do not do this, then you are stuffed......Just so many people, too many people.

To me it is a shame that such a beautiful place has been destroyed, the old time feel of the town has gone and most I spoke to had only been here a few years, but I did get to speak to some who had been born here and they were in agreement with me......Ruined, completely ruined.

I was there in 2018 and liked it. Stayed at the Best Western which was very good as we had a large suite which was nice and quiet. We also did the Arches and Canyon tours, but as you said if you are not going in around 7:30 the parks fill up and they won't let you in. The queues of traffic trying to get it as we came out were horrendous.

Unfortunately, it's teh same everywhere but you can get into wilderness and away from the tourists if you really want to.

We'll be there in July for 3 days and will thoroughly enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Two weeks ago I rode 86 miles across the Valley of Fire NP I saw one RV going the other way.

Ha - just one vehicle in 86 miles......

Attachments

• 5BFD79DA-9390-4EE5-917B-D607E75A42D3.jpeg
    5BFD79DA-9390-4EE5-917B-D607E75A42D3.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 496
I was there in 2012 on my bike with the missus and it was good - but I camped. My first ever (and only) horse ride in Professor Valley.

Last time I stayed in Moab was 6 years ago and it was crazy crowded then compared to when I first went 16 years ago. And so are the parks, Zion in particular. It's the damn internet, if there's somewhere interesting to go everyone ends up knowing about it.

Last time I stayed in Moab was 6 years ago and it was crazy crowded then compared to when I first went 16 years ago. And so are the parks, Zion in particular. It's the damn internet, if there's somewhere interesting to go everyone ends up knowing about it.

They are building a University building there now! The chap I do business with is a senior on the board of it, he also owned a lot of the real estate and developed Castle Valley back in the 60`s.....I think he has come out of all this quite well from what I can gather:D

A trailer home will sell for 300K in Moab now:eek::eek: It`s batshit crazy.

I leave tomorrow afternoon and won`t be sorry to go, after two bouts of food poisoning and despite trying to avoid too much processed food, my body is shattered, my joints ache and I feel very unhealthy, perhaps it is because I have not really drank a lot of alcohol:confused: I don`t know, but I shall not be returning ever, the US for me now is over, it has changed and not for the better....Too many people, as you say, the internet has ruined so many places and we also had a discussion about the deterioration of manners and that seems to coincide with the bloody internet/social media, people are just so rude now, I cannot believe the change.

Moab was our first stop on a bike trip from Denver to the west coast ten yesrs ago. Loved it and everything else in between. But then my cup was half full at the time!

I worked with a bloke once that was so fed up with foreigners coming over to the UK that he moved to Spain ;)

They are building a University building there now! The chap I do business with is a senior on the board of it, he also owned a lot of the real estate and developed Castle Valley back in the 60`s.....I think he has come out of all this quite well from what I can gather:D

A trailer home will sell for 300K in Moab now:eek::eek: It`s batshit crazy.

I leave tomorrow afternoon and won`t be sorry to go, after two bouts of food poisoning and despite trying to avoid too much processed food, my body is shattered, my joints ache and I feel very unhealthy, perhaps it is because I have not really drank a lot of alcohol:confused: I don`t know, but I shall not be returning ever, the US for me now is over, it has changed and not for the better....Too many people, as you say, the internet has ruined so many places and we also had a discussion about the deterioration of manners and that seems to coincide with the bloody internet/social media, people are just so rude now, I cannot believe the change.
Strange coincidence ------ that you would get food poisoning there , it's the one and only time I have had it unexpectedly on all my travels about the planet . Mmh ,, wonder why ?:nenau:nenau

Try Yosemite in August....:blast We were there last year. That was my fourth visit but I hadn't been since 2010. It was mobbed.

Try Yosemite in August....:blast We were there last year. That was my fourth visit but I hadn't been since 2010. It was mobbed.

I really do feel that the internet has ruined the world in so many ways, after discussions about it this week and the "coincidence" of so many negatives that affect us I can only see one option for the world.....We have to rid it of the bloody internet!

But did he buy your company?

At 81 years of age he has no need or interest and I was not offering. I was merely ensuring that provisions are in place for his death and wanted to know that the security of future supplies would not be a problem and how the company is going to operate going forward(stupid phrase) I have assurances and contingency is in place for such events. So I now have solid facts and procedure to make assurances when I try and wind my company into some unsuspecting punter:D

I have just been reading up on the history of Moab and why the tourism has got so big.....Irony is not even in it!
The guy I do business with is the person whose idea it was!!!!! And I told him Moab has been ruined:(

I think my foot may have a hole in it.

My lad is going this weekend with his wife, camping and hiking. Looking forward to his views on the place.
Mark

My lad is going this weekend with his wife, camping and hiking. Looking forward to his views on the place.
Mark

It is the last quiet weekend of the season, so he will have it easy.....There is ice on the passes, but you only get it wrong the once:D.....I think they said there was snow in the forecast this weekend, but it just makes the place look more beautiful in my opinon:beerjug:

Get going early to avoid the crowds and catch the wildlife, there is a surprising amount of it considering it is classed as a desert.

You cannot fail to be impressed by the place, it truly is awesome!

Pretty quiet when I took a ride out from Moab

P1040276-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom