Kx 125 help please.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Friend has bought a kx 125 1989. Got a few hours out of it and stopped. No spark then there is one then there isn’t. Disconnected cutout switch. Still the same. Took of side cover and flywheel to find a mess of chewed screws insulation tape and even duck tape and messy solder. Quick google suggests there’s problems in this area. eBay seems to be full of replacement stators both new and second hand. Does anyone know what I need to buy? It’s fairly obvious where the problem is but do I buy a whole new assembly for about €100+shipping? Does anyone have first hand experience on this? What’s comparable will any one do? JJH

Where do you want someone to start?

from what you describe, its a mess, and the fix could be £5 or £500

Start with the basics

Have you got a working spark plug £5

Is the spark plug cap ok £5

Is the plug lead ok £5 ( if replaceable)

Is the battery full charged? holding charge £40

Is the coil ok? £40

Is the stator ring ok £100

Cdi unit dead £100

Any one of those will potentially give a non spark to a plug

Are you getting a trigger voltage from the stator ring? to the coil?

if one of the coils on the stator ring goes , that will kill any spark / trigger form being generated

Personlly id chop out all the old bodged stuff, get a manual or wiring diagram for it and start again.

new wires to all the components that are in the bodge path

then see how you get on

Wow that’s unusual. Nobody has even an opinion. JJH

I have an opinion, but perhaps not really worth sharing..

I would be looking for the test values from a workshop manual - it might be the Stator, or Rotor, or the plug cap, etc

Go on, show us a picci :nenau

Doh! slow typing hands means my opinion is worth even less!

Last edited:
Steer clear of 'friend' until he's got it sorted :augie

Wot Santa says.. Rip out all the snot. I've just rewired the Stator on an 88 Vespa, insulation cracked & broken off in chunks use the same gauge/thickness wire. Hopefully that'll sort it :thumb2

Steer clear of 'friend' until he's got it sorted :augie
That’s the best advice I’ve received so far. I was really hoping that someone would know exactly what’s up and know where to get the new parts that would be twice as good ect ect. It’s a sorry sight in there. He only bought the bike last week. I advised him to stay from Chineese shit. Didn’t expect this heap to be disgorged from the back of his van. JJH

Back
Top Bottom