When turning the engine over to fit new alternator belt.......

chrismckay

Reaction score
I realise you more experienced mechanics will be giving a large "sigh", but if you dont ask you dont know!!

When fitting a new alternator belt and manually turning the engine, should the engine be in gear or in neutral?

I have googled some varying techniques to carryout this task and some people say to remove spark plugs to make turning easier on the compression stroke, one guy makes it look easy just turning the pulley nut with a spanner, Im sure I read somewhere to have the motorcycle in 6th gear....ultimately I am unsure!!!

your advice will be appreciated.

Chris...:)

If you're using the wheel to turn the engine it needs to be in gear. The higher the gear the easier it will be to turn it over.

If using a wrench to turn the engine it should be in neutral.

Again, if you are take a plug from each pot.

If you're using the wheel to turn the engine it needs to be in gear. The higher the gear the easier it will be to turn it over.

If using a wrench to turn the engine it should be in neutral.

Again, if you are take a plug from each pot.

Why would you need to remove plugs? I've replaced loads of belts and never removed a plug, I'm assuming it's a bit easier?

To remove the front belt cover, the correct Torx sizes are: Top and Bottom 3 screws T20. Sides 2 screws T25.
The Crank nut size is 34mm AF. I used an adjustable wrench, it is not very tight to turn, engine cold, even with plugs in. I'll look out for a 34mm AF spanner..

The belt cover comes out to the LHS (not RHS, sorry my mistake), there is more room on that side.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...Belt-crash-bars-removal-or-not?highlight=belt

Why would you need to remove plugs? I've replaced loads of belts and never removed a plug, I'm assuming it's a bit easier?

Takes a few minutes and makes it a lot easier to turn the engine over.

Get the belt half on and flick the starter switch....just make sure you start on the correct side of the pulley ;)

I realise you more experienced mechanics will be giving a large "sigh", but if you dont ask you dont know!!

When fitting a new alternator belt and manually turning the engine, should the engine be in gear or in neutral?

I have googled some varying techniques to carryout this task and some people say to remove spark plugs to make turning easier on the compression stroke, one guy makes it look easy just turning the pulley nut with a spanner, Im sure I read somewhere to have the motorcycle in 6th gear....ultimately I am unsure!!!

your advice will be appreciated.

Chris...:)

1200 or 850, 1100, 1150 etc???

1200 is a stretch belt If its a conti Belt it will have "ELAST" after the part number If it doesn't Don't fit it!! you will cut the schite out of the belt trying to get it on YOu need it out of gear and use that big nut on the lower pulley to turn it over I made a socket with an outer ring to prevent the pulley cutting the belt Another schite idea by clever fuckwits sitting in a design office!

850 1100 you will need to remove an oil pipe on earlier ones, to fit the belt But once you slacken and lower the alternator you should not need to turn the engine over there should be enough space to slip the belt on

The 850 1150 have the same set up as above only there is no external oil pipe same 3 bolts "BUT" later 1150 had a free wheeling alternator pulley which you can tell from standard by a black plastic cover These ones are always harder to fit the belts on and I always fitted it to the top pulley first and I think I get a 4PK613 or 615 for the little extra length

850 1100 1150 ***There is a belt tensioning mechanism on the lower left side (sat on bike) There is a tool for it which is basically a blind M8 nut that you lock on the front end of the bolt

but I usually just make sure everything moves freely and use a longish tyre lever to wiggle the alternator up and If you do not know how to tension a belt?

Perhaps better to ask someone to do it for you because you can bugger the front alternator bearing

Back
Top Bottom