Am I doing something wrong??

RallyeGS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have the Touratech over cockpit satnav mounting bar that is meant to be universal and for all 12mm diameter bars. Tried fitting it and I cannot get it to fit tight enough. The bar is 12mm diameter in the bike bit the ID of the Touratech mount measures 14mm. Are there some collars I am missing to step down the ID of the bracket?

Have you got the right one?

I think the bar on the GS LC is 14mm, on earlier models it was 12mm

My bike is a 2018 GSA, I measured the bar and it’s definitely 12mm, it’s the inside diameter of the TT bracket that’s 14mm.

If it is the one i think you mean take out the bolts from either side of the bar and slip a piece of rubber pipe the right size onto the bar and then the clamp will tighten up on that or make a bar the correct size to replace the 12mm one

Odd how the TT bracket is marketed as 12mm universal fitting.

If it is the one i think you mean take out the bolts from either side of the bar and slip a piece of rubber pipe the right size onto the bar and then the clamp will tighten up on that or make a bar the correct size to replace the 12mm one

Or leave the bar on and slit the pipe to fit over?

The problem I have is that the bracket fixings are too big for the diameter of the bar on the bike. I am going to try using foil tape cut to size I’m the half sections of the TT bracket.

Try a bit of garden hose, just slit it and fit it over the bar. That will do the trick.

Attachments

• C18ED770-01E1-4303-B96C-35587FAB0952.jpg
    C18ED770-01E1-4303-B96C-35587FAB0952.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 269
Only today I fitted a quad lock phone mount to my KTM bars. Before clamping it down I wrapped about 12" of magic plumbers tape (the stuff that sticks to itself), and it worked a treat. It'll absorb some vibes and is super grippy for the collar to bed into. :thumb2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Q...rds=magic+plumbers+tape&qid=1582052363&sr=8-5

+ 1

I did the same to my set up using electrical tape,

it stops the mount from gouging chunks out of the bar, and gives it a bit of shock absorbancy, Plus you can move the mount if needs be with some man force

Back
Top Bottom