Dead GSA

Scotriders

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Nipping out for lunch today and my 2010 GSA died on approach to a roundabout. Hit the starter button and nothing.
Ended up pushing it back (mostly) downhill to my training site.
Tried bump starting it but just locked the rear wheel.
Back at the site and after catching my breath I had a quick look over it but nothing obvious.
The dash lights up and runs through it usual ritual with no extra warning lights showing.
I did notice that when the key was turned I couldn't hear anything from the fuel pump (to be fair I can't say I normally register any noise coming from it but know that most do make a noise so guess the GSA should too)
There is also nothing at all from the starter motor which I guess would still try to turn the engine even if the fuel pump wasnt working?
So dead bike, any suggestions what the issue could be?

Cheers

do you have access to gs911 for error code? does ignition still turn on electrics? also might be worth checking fuses after bump start

Bike died while riding and Starter not cranking? Have you still got headlight, horn etc?
When you press the start button, do the dash lights go dim or stay full brightness? If dim, maybe battery weak?
Side stand switch would kill engine while in gear and prevent starter from operating while in gear, but in neutral or with clutch pulled in, side stand switch should not affect anything.
Is the bike in everyday use, does it normally start well? Could battery be weak, held up on trickle charger at night?
Are battery terminals clean and tight?
Any recent work done on the bike?

Still got lights, not dimming when starting, battery in good condition, terminals clean and tight.
Nothing from the bike wether in gear or neutral, clutch in or out.
Bike in use every day, I've noticed over the last few weeks that sometimes when starting the starter motor would sound like it's working then just spin without engaging the engine and would sometimes need a couple of attempts before kicking into life.
Recently did an oil, plugs, filters and final drive, gear oil service on it.
Never had any problems with it cutting out before.

Mine did this the other day after being out in storm Ciara. (mine's a 2010 bike too) Tuned it off and back on again (I know it's a classic) and all was well again. I'm interested in any ideas just in case it happenes again. I did check the kill switch and side stand switch, but this didn't seem to affect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5F_Qu4ixE must watch Make Sure Battery is fully charged, if more than 3 years old get a new one please. Make Sure Battery is fully charged, if more than 3 years old get a new one please. then check STARTER NOT COME LOOSE, then check all fuses, check starter relay not come loose ( when press start button listen to see if starter relay clicks?) if not i suggest running a wire carefully from +ve of battery to small terminal located on rear of starter solenoid, just touch the +12v wire to rear of starter, then starter should activate, if yes, starter is ok, fault more likely starter relay or a fuse or starter switch is immobilsed with regard to something else) ensure kill switch is off.
Bike cutting out when riding is likely to be either: side stand switch wiring broken, simulating side stand down, you can short the wires out to bypass the side stand switch. If this is not the cause check the fuel pump is operating, you should hear it buzz when ignition switched on. remove panels to expose fuel pump, fuel pump controller may have packed up, you can bypass the controller and make the pump run continuously provided the pump has not failed, a quick test when got starter operating is squirt easy start into the air intake, if bike starts and splutters then, problem is fuel delivery problem. So stages: 1. battery fully charged, 2. starter operation electric test test with wire if yes, check starter relay and fuses or fix, relays wear out. 3. when starter works try easy start in air intake if necessary. If runs fuel delivery problem, if does not run check and bypass side stand switch, see if starts again, if starter operates and still does not run check fuel pump and fuel pump controller bypass. these are the main faults, other main fault that can occur is if the hall effect switch fails which is a crank position sensor. A GS911 diagnostic tool is invaluble here, if you join the bmw club you can hire one very very cheaply. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g5WD7C4K_0
If battery was at fault replace with a new one and make sure it is charging ok 13.8 - 14.2 volts when above 2000 rpm.

My bike will occasionally die when decelerating, coming to a stop-sigh for example - rare but happens.

In your case, does the bike cut-out occasionally when stopping in traffic? If so, could the engine stopping be "normal" but won't restart due starter button or starter motor failure?

You could hot wire from Batt+ to starter solenoid terminal to see if starter will turn and spin the engine.

If it does turn with hot wire, then could be starter button or kill switch or even sidestand switch with gear position switch simultaneously - unlikely!
If it does not turn with hot wire, then starter is suspect.

Latest update.
Tried to start it again today.
Ignition on and I could hear a few whirs and clicks, wouldn't say it sprung in to life but it started. Ran for about 30 - 60 secs then cut out. Didn't sound too rough when running but neither was it smooth.
Tried a second time, no luck, but third attempt had the starter turn and the engine catch then cut out immediately.
Did the same a few more times every second or third attempt.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

fuel pressure

builds when you turn the key, then I guess when it starts something suggests it ought to run up again... but sounds like yours doesn't
not sure on that one, but earlier ones the pump relay fills with water... they had a recall to fit a better one

Have you tried contacting Dolan and asking him for an opinion ? I should add he's off his work with a badly broken arm so no point in going round to his work.

Think Steptoe of this parish has already given the most likely fault as in the fuel pump controller. Plenty of info about testing it by disconnecting it and testing it. Sounds like the fpc to me based on your symptoms.
I also had the fpc go on a 2007 R1200RT, which behaved like you describe.

Battery is main suspect, shouldbe replaced every three years anyway. Pull out each primary coil, you may have a faulty coil, they sometimess come apart in your hand. you need a gs911 diagnostic tool on the bike. have you checked the fuel pump controller or bypassed it ?
faulty lamda sensors can also cause starting problems.

Back
Top Bottom