My Route App creating straight lines

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I created a route in MyRoute-app recently and put it directly onto my Nav6 and experienced the straightlining issue. Same when I brought it into BaseCamp but I did eventually manage to get it to recalculate and work, thought initially I was going mad!

Edit: New thread created. Cut from a thread about Garmin’s BaseCamp not being able to work properly with map update 2020.3 on Mac computers.... which is not the same thing. Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I created a route in MyRoute-app recently and put it directly onto my Nav6 and experienced the straightlining issue. Same when I brought it into BaseCamp but I did eventually manage to get it to recalculate and work, thought initially I was going mad!

I have just exported 3 new routes to my Nav VI using Myrouteapp and their export tool using GPX1.0 format and they are 100% fine, no straight lines. I am on 2020.30 maps. Did you use GPX 1.1 as a format, if so, straight lines are a known issue and if you read up, it tells you the work around.

Hi peejay

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be, that I'd put the routes in and then updated my garmin. I then took the route out of the garmin, made sure it was fully up to date and then put the route files back in and it worked. Hope this helps Ali

I have just exported 3 new routes to my Nav VI using Myrouteapp and their export tool using GPX1.0 format and they are 100% fine, no straight lines. I am on 2020.30 maps. Did you use GPX 1.1 as a format, if so, straight lines are a known issue and if you read up, it tells you the work around.

I did use 1.1 version as the MyRoute connector said that was the recommended for the Garmin, didn't think to try that but thanks!

I did use 1.1 version as the MyRoute connector said that was the recommended for the Garmin, didn't think to try that but thanks!

The difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is, 1.0 puts all waypoints in, whilst 1.1 puts shaping points in. But 1.0 is not an issue as once the trip is in the Garmin, you can just change any waypoint back to shaping points in the device, and visa versa.

The difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is, 1.0 puts all waypoints in, whilst 1.1 puts shaping points in. But 1.0 is not an issue as once the trip is in the Garmin, you can just change any waypoint back to shaping points in the device, and visa versa.

When I've had the straight line problem I've overcome it by converting a Waypoint or Shaping point to the other then back again and following this the route has followed the curves in the roads.

When changing from a waypoint to a shaping point and visa-versa, a route recalculation takes place. It is that which turns the straight lines to lines that follow the roads.... assuming that is that the roads on the Garmin map match the line of the route.

When a recalculation happens you might (depending on your preference settings and the direction the route takes) see some difference between the route you created and the version offered up. This might or might not be significant.... always check the route offered up before you set off, so as to ensure it takes you the way YOU want it to.

When changing from a waypoint to a shaping point and visa-versa, a route recalculation takes place. It is that which turns the straight lines to lines that follow the roads.... assuming that is that the roads on the Garmin map match the line of the route.

When a recalculation happens you might (depending on your preference settings and the direction the route takes) see some difference between the route you created and the version offered up. This might or might not be significant.... always check the route offered up before you set off, so as to ensure it takes you the way YOU want it to.

Thanks Wapping but with the amount of Way-points/Shaping-points that I use, this isn't a problem but I do understand what you mean.

Straight lines when creating in myrouteapp then sending to a Nav is a known issue. The work around from myrouteapp was to recalculate the route to curvy roads then back to fastest, this seems to get the route to 'snap' back onto the planned route. Sounds like a faff but honestly takes only a few minutes and becomes second nature. That way you can use 1.1 and have all your shaping points keeping you on the route you have planned rather than the route the GPS algorithm wants to use between waypoints.

On a Nav 6, when you first open a route from the app icon, go to the top left corner and open the menu, scroll down to route preference and change to curvy, once it's recalculated change it back to fastest and you should be sorted.

Straight lines when creating in myrouteapp then sending to a Nav is a known issue. The work around from myrouteapp was to recalculate the route to curvy roads then back to fastest, this seems to get the route to 'snap' back onto the planned route. Sounds like a faff but honestly takes only a few minutes and becomes second nature. That way you can use 1.1 and have all your shaping points keeping you on the route you have planned rather than the route the GPS algorithm wants to use between waypoints.

On a Nav 6, when you first open a route from the app icon, go to the top left corner and open the menu, scroll down to route preference and change to curvy, once it's recalculated change it back to fastest and you should be sorted.

Not sure what you are talking about here, the route you want, rather than the sat nav using its algorithm. If you plan your route using HERE maps in my route app and then send via Gpx 1.0 the route is transferred exactly as you planned it. The other thing to remember is once transferred, and you switch on your sat nav, don't import the route until you have sat coverage. If you use 1.1 then AFAIK, you end up with all shaping points, (I haven't found an option to have both when planning routes in myrouteapp. That is why I use 1.0 and then I just change my waypoints to shaping points as required. As Wapping says, check the route after this activity as the route is recalculated, but I have never had any issues where it is different to the route I planned.

There support is pretty good but so are their help files. I am not an expert like Wapping though :)

Not sure what you are talking about here, the route you want, rather than the sat nav using its algorithm. If you plan your route using HERE maps in my route app and then send via Gpx 1.0 the route is transferred exactly as you planned it. The other thing to remember is once transferred, and you switch on your sat nav, don't import the route until you have sat coverage. If you use 1.1 then AFAIK, you end up with all shaping points, (I haven't found an option to have both when planning routes in myrouteapp. That is why I use 1.0 and then I just change my waypoints to shaping points as required. As Wapping says, check the route after this activity as the route is recalculated, but I have never had any issues where it is different to the route I planned.

There support is pretty good but so are their help files. I am not an expert like Wapping though :)

Obviously it's not transfering properly for some people, as it is coming out in straight lines.

Recalculation of routes created outside of Garmin software brings with it the risk of some changes. Recalcuation of routes from within an entirely Garmin enviroment, brings some risks, too.... hence the oft heard "But my GPS said we had to turn right back there...."

Use whatever works best for you, they are sort of 'Personal' computers after all.

Copied from MyRoute's website in the support section :beerjug:

Straight lines in Garmin

Modified on: Fri, 9 Nov, 2018 at 4:39 AM

Garmin and BMW Navigator devices seem to have difficulties with calculating a GPX route with only 'soft' waypoints. This issue does not only occur when you use the MyRoute-app Connector, but it may also occur when you download a GPX file from the internet.

To solve the issue, please try the following:
Make a route in the HERE map of MyRoute-app and make sure that all waypoints are placed exactly on the road.
Do not place the start and ending point to close to each other.
Open the Connector
Choose 'Garmin new' (for Garmin) or 'BMW motorbike' (for BMW Navigator) (GPX 1.1).
Check in the setting of your navigation device that 'offroad' mode is turned off.
Do you still get straight lines? please go to the settings of your navigation device and change the route preferences, for example, 'avoid highways', the Garmin or BMW Navigator will now recalculate the route. Thereafter you can change the settings back to your preferred setting. We advise 'fastest route'
If your Garmin or BMW Navigator is able to navigate tracks, then this has the preference. For this type of devices (modern devices) please try the following:
Make sure that recalculation is turned off ('setting' > 'navigation' > 'recalculation).
Go to 'Apps'.
Choose 'Tracks'.
Select the track you would like to import.
Click the 'Wrench'.
Select 'Show on map'.
Click 'Convert to trip'.
Choose 'Begin to end'.
You can change the name now if you would like this.
Click 'Ok'.
The device will calculate the route and save it to the 'Tripplanner'.
Go to 'Apps' and then to 'Tripplanner'.
Select the converted track and click 'Go!'
Select 'Begin'.
The device will calculate the route.
Click 'Start', you can now start driving, enjoy!

i use Myroute frequently and upload the maps to a Nav6. not had any issues at all.

The base rule is to plan your route on the "Here" map, then save. when transferring always use the GPX1.0 option in the drop down list. Dont use GPX1.1 or BMW Navigator. if you follow that simple rule,you should not have any issues

i use Myroute frequently and upload the maps to a Nav6. not had any issues at all.

The base rule is to plan your route on the "Here" map, then save. when transferring always use the GPX1.0 option in the drop down list. Dont use GPX1.1 or BMW Navigator. if you follow that simple rule,you should not have any issues

Exactly, same experience as you, but you just can't tell some people :)

I’ve been successfully using the 1.0 export method to overcome the straight-line issue. The only downside for me was the unnecessary spoken announcements of every single waypoint. So that tip of using the Garmin to change waypoints to (unannounced) shaping points is very welcome

I’ve been successfully using the 1.0 export method to overcome the straight-line issue. The only downside for me was the unnecessary spoken announcements of every single waypoint. So that tip of using the Garmin to change waypoints to (unannounced) shaping points is very welcome

Yes nice tip. I use quite a lot of way points as well, I have the skip waypoint button on the front of the nav 6 so just before it hits the waypoint .....skip, and so on .

Back
Top Bottom