Gsa without ESA

Stoney

Reaction score
I’m looking at a lovely looking 68 plate GSA. Dealer says previous owner specced it without ESA, LED headlights and keyless ignition.

Question is...will that affect my enjoyment of the bike and it’s future value?

I do ride two up sometimes so had considered ESA a nice to have in my next bike.

Whether or not it may affect your enjoyment is only for you to judge. It will certainly affect not only its future value but also its potential saleability.

You're hardly new here, are you....? :D

That’s what I thought tbh. It’ll be harder to shift on...

Not new here, but new back on bikes, had a few years off and feel a bit overwhelmed by how much things have changed, and so feel like a total beginner again if I’m honest.

Depends how long you hold on to it, and if it is priced appropriately.

Non ESA shocks are a lot cheaper to replace/upgrade and you can retro fit the led lights, should you so desire

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I’m looking at a lovely looking 68 plate GSA. Dealer says previous owner specced it without ESA, LED headlights and keyless ignition.

I do ride two up sometimes so had considered ESA a nice to have in my next bike.

Wonder if this really was specced by the previous owner, or just accepted by the dealer as stock?
Whatevs, the price all the way through the sales process should reflect the lower spec.
Having said that there are plenty stories of ESA failing /underperforming on here - I decided to upgrade my suspension rather than trading in for the 1250, and very happy to have done so. You may have ducked the curved ball by buying this lowed spec bike.

It'll be a basic GSA then, not the TE so will likely be without other things like GSAP and lean angle ABS too. IIRC the specs for the 1250 GSA and GSA TE haven't changed much over the 2018 1200 so if you look on BM's motorrad website you should get an idea of what yours is missing compared to the TE to see which would suit you better and as above the base model can be hard to shift so residuals tend to be worse so if you're not intending to keep it long term the TE would be a better option IMO plus if it's main dealer it'll have a 2 year warranty. Riding 2 up with a TE the ESA is automatic so you don't have to mess about trying to change the suspension as it compensates automatically. Test rides are always the best way to find out which you prefer. Good luck

Depends on who is buying it! Personally I wouldn’t want ESA and certainly wouldn’t pay more for it. As others have said ESA is known to fail and is expense to replace. I good pair of aftermarket shocks will give a much nicer ride.

Hey Stoney. I deliberately went for non ESA on my GS bought 3 years ago. Had it on 2 previous bikes, no better than non ESA so reckoned I didn't need potential bills of ESA. Then again I ride solo only, once set I don't need to adjust (except maybe once a year on loaded up euro trip) No doubt resale affected by non ESA, but not planning on selling.

Non ESA will be a basic as said, so two riding modes not 5 (again once set I don't need to change it) Headlight & other lights traditional not LED (a mates non BMW bike LED headlight just failed, £800 replacement !) Probably other stuff on higher spec bikes but can't think of anything that I miss. Mine has heated grips, and non BMW Sat Nav, you may get an integral Nav on higher spec.

My view, was I will keep the bike beyond the Warranty, so simpler the better

Good luck whichever way you go.

NB HAB ride this Sunday, be good to meet up again

I've three basic GS' and one with ESA - if i was to buy another it would be a Basic....

Back
Top Bottom